First time post, first time building cabinets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time post, first time building cabinets

Howdy all, I've been lurking here for a little bit and like what I see. Good advice all around. Love to share my first attempts at making some extension cabinets after almost dying of sticker shock for a 2X12 Mesa cab to go with my Rect-o-verb.

The first picture shows my first attempt at box/finger joints. Pretty rough as my partner didn't take much time in making the cuts. But it holds....so far.

Second is attempt number 2, which worked much better...except that in picture 3, you can see it's not a box, it's a parallellagram (sp?) DAMN!

Last pic is my first cab loaded with some cheapo 12s, while it awaits a new load of 1 Celestion V30 and one G12H-30 and some grill cloth that are sitting on the workbench.

So, I think I'm on the right track...next cabinet gets built from pine or some other wood.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by csparks75 View Post
    The first picture shows my first attempt at box/finger joints. Pretty rough as my partner didn't take much time in making the cuts. But it holds....so far.
    Looks good. They just need some sanding. Get s random orbit sander and sand them flush and smooth. Everything made from wood needs sanding.

Second is attempt number 2, which worked much better...except that in picture 3, you can see it's not a box, it's a parallellagram (sp?) DAMN!
    Did you ever watch New Yankee Workshop? Norm's always showing the standard way you take care of that. You diagonally measure from one corner to the opposite corner, and then repeat that for the other two. Then make them match!

So, I think I'm on the right track...next cabinet gets built from pine or some other wood.
    Looks like a great start. I've been meaning to make myself a 2 X 12 bass cab.
    Last edited by tboy; 03-06-2008, 02:05 AM.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I love new yankee workshop! I want to hear Norm say: "Always wear your safety glasses, because my tools are so bad-ass and I'll make it look so easy that you need something to keep the eyes inside your head" LOL

Yeah, thought I did that but I have had problems in the past with a measuring tape. I still have a ways to go, like applying a finish, adding handles, feet, etc. to the first one. I think when it gets warmer, I may have to rip the new one apart and start over. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, thought I did that but I have had problems in the past with a measuring tape.
        It's not easy to measure the inside diagonal of a box with a measuring tape.

One trick is to use two sticks, each of which has one end cut to a bit of a
        point so it'll reach into a corner. You hold... oh wait a second, a picture will
        be a lot easier than trying to explain with words...

Here :

So you jam them into the corners and hold them together while you check
        them against the other diagonal. You don't care what the length is, just
        that the two diagonals be equal.

If you have a long bar clamp you can put it across the longest diagonal
        and squeeze those corners together until the box is square.

I'd still use a builder's square on the inside for good measure.

Paul P

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          You diagonally measure from one corner to the opposite corner, and then repeat that for the other two. Then make them match!
          There are multiple types of right-angle clamps that make this job much simpler, and much less error-prone.

Here are a few:

1) https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-9...3-2K/204958410

2) Right-Angle Assembly Clamps - Lee Valley Tools

3) https://www.amazon.ca/Wolfcraft-3415.../dp/B000JCGYD6

4) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=553152

IMO, in this era of excellent wood glues, and easy and extremely strong biscuit-joinery, dovetail joints are about nostalgia, not function.

-Gnobuddy

Comment

...it awaits a new load of 1 Celestion V30 and one G12H-30 and some grill cloth...
            I don't know if you've used that speaker combo before, and that's why you chose them, but I love my 2x12 with a V30 and a G12H30
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I'm just glad that I didn't take pics of my first few cabinets!
              They held the speakers OK, but sure weren't much for looks!

Comment

Same here.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                X