Help choosing a custom Fender cab (photos) NEED OPINIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing a custom Fender cab (photos) NEED OPINIONS

I know opinions on this sorta thing are a little personal but I'd love to see what folks think of these cabinet ideas for my new garage built super princeton reverb .

I took the custom cabinet photo samples from NewellAmps.com (JD Newell) and modified them with a photo editor program to try and really see the choices. Please help me decide.

My favorites are the Green with black grill, Wine with oxblood grill, and Wine tolex with black grill. I'm also going to install a nice black leather handle and have a tuki cover made. It's also a custom 18" tall princeton cab to handle the 12" speaker a little easier.

I'd appreciate any opinions good or bad. I'm thinking the wine/oxblood is the classiest one and nice for formal gigs etc. I was surprised the ones with the wheat grill looked as good as they do.
    Attached Files

Decisions decisions... I am a fan of high contrast. I like the Wheat Grille Cloth. If your going to be gigging with it, you might want to consider darker colors as it may be slower to show bar room grime.

Comment

try red oak with a mahogony stain and oxblood grill cloth

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1045148...7600996132002/

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBandit View Post
        I'd appreciate any opinions good or bad. I'm thinking the wine/oxblood is the classiest one and nice for formal gigs etc.
        I agree. I'd go with wine/oxblood if you don't want the amp to stand out
        and wine/black if you do. Both are nice.

For less formal the wheat grill is also nice. Maybe you should set things
        up so you can replace the grill depending on the venue

Paul P
        Last edited by Paul P; 02-24-2008, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBandit View Post
          I'd appreciate any opinions good or bad. I'm thinking the wine/oxblood is the classiest one and nice for formal gigs etc. I was surprised the ones with the wheat grill looked as good as they do.
          Personally I'm a big fan of the tweed and wheat stuff. I like the wine with the wheat myself. One thought you could apply shellac to the wheat if you want to darken it slightly (clear shellac) or darken it a lot (amber shellac).

PM me and I can show some photos of work I've done on bicycle handlebars with cotton bar tape I've shellacked. There the shellac is to make the tape really durable and rather waterproof, not so much for color. Just another idea for the mix.

Shellac is really thin and will soak into the material on the first few coats. You don't have to put so much that it impairs the sound to get a color change.
          Functional Dishwasher
          As I'm the only working dishwasher in my house
          '94 MIJ Black Stratocaster named 'Earl'
          7/95 Fender Blues Deluxe
          '75 Fender VibroChamp

Comment

Working...
          X