bought a ts9 with a cracked board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a ts9 with a cracked board

Light comes on no sound, switch off, straight guitar signal appears. Want to mod it but first i have to fix it possibly with a new board. Are there any boards available that are exact replacements?
    Thanks

Originally posted by bstrat View Post
    Want to mod it but first i have to fix it possibly with a new board.
    The board IS the device, so replacing it really means replacing the pedal. I've repaired LOTS of cracked and broken PC boards in my time. I couldn't say whether yours was a candidate without seeing a pic of the cracked board.

In short, the procedure is:

1. Find the traces that are broken by the crack.
    2. Scrape the green conformal coating off each trace near the crack.
    3. Depending on the severity of the crack, there are several methods for repair:

a: Drill a small hole in each trace on both side of the crack. Use a piece of resistor lead and bend ends to fit in your new holes. Solder.
    b: Follow the traces from the crack to a component on either side of the crack. Solder a wire between the two new points.
    c: Drill holes as in step a, but use a long lead inserted through the top of the board. Twist the ends together with needle nose until the wire pulls the circuit board together nicely. Solder. Clip off excess lead length.

All of these require soldering skill, but are not really difficult once you've done it a couple times. If you can solder, but are not sure about the procedure, experiment on a dead piece of PC board that you DON'T care about. If you don't have any dead transistor radios around, you can spend a few bucks at Radio Shack and buy a prototyping board for practice.

Also, if you buy the prototyping boards and fail, you might just transfer the parts to a new board, presuming it'll fit inside the pedal nicely. Several at the 'Shack would.

Basically, you've got lots of options, none of which need involve a complete 'replacement board'. Even if you're new to soldering, rebuilding this pedal is a good low cost project if you have basic technical skills and are willing to learn.

Best,
    Bill`

Comment

Not all TS9 boards are the same, so I don't know of a third-party generic replacement. If the crack is neat is should be possible to repair carefully. Probably easier than desolder/resolder.

Comment

jumping

tried jumping out the affected traces and still get perfect white noise. the knobs have no effect. Have a feeling it has other problems. May just take it back to guitar center and get my $35 back and order a BYOC ts. I guess it could be the 7555 chip is fried. Really appreciate the comebacks.
        Brent

Comment

Working...
        X