Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside an Output Transformer

Hi,

Finally I got a MOP50-T which is a taiwanese copy of MOP50 both currently sold by New Sensor at the lowest wholesale price for such a product. They claim to be built as per Marshall specs. According to users these offer descent quality. Since there is great reluctance to publish/share winding data for OTs in the net I decided to sacrifice one of those in order to learn what's inside it?
    So do you want to know what's inside this babe and how it's wound?

Certainly do.

Comment

+1!

Comment

I'm interested.
        -Mike

Comment

Here's some preliminary data:

1/ Dimensions - 96x80x41mm, which means EI96 laminations 41mm across. This translates into approx. 13 sq.cm. core.

2/ Resistance of the primary - 138 Ohms. One half measured 62 Ohms the other one 76 Ohms.

3/ Primary inductance. Two types of measurements were performed:

a/ using the method from the link below:

http://engr.nmsu.edu/~etti/fall96/el...ct/induct.html

The results using 1Volt signal and 1kOhm resistor are:

Hz L /Henry/

50 - 85,9
          60 - 75,7
          70 - 68,8
          80 - 62,1
          90 - 57,0
          100 - 54,8
          200 - 31,8
          400 - 23,4
          1000 - 28,9

b/ using a semi professional LCR meter /measures only at 1kHz/:

22.9H

In both cases there's plenty of it. The leaflet that came with the transformer states 55Hz-20kHz frequency range. It looks like it's not exaggerated.

Comment

What about a de-gutted shot

Comment

What about a de-gutted shot
              I'm not there yet. Coming up soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                b/ using a semi professional LCR meter /measures only at 1kHz/:

22.9H

In both cases there's plenty of it. The leaflet that came with the transformer states 55Hz-20kHz frequency range. It looks like it's not exaggerated.
                ...as a double-check, simply backsolve that 55Hz low-frequency value to see what value Lpri is needed to produce that 55Hz (-3dB) value.
                ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Here's some preliminary data:
                  Don't forget the crucial high frequency measurement - the leakage inductances.

You need to measure the plate-to-plate inductance with the secondary shorted. This gives the bulk high end cutoff leakage.

Then measure inductance of half-primary to shorted secondary for each half-primary to get the asymmetry caused by non-symmetrical coupling of half-primaries.

Finally measure the inductance of one half-primary with the other half-primary shorted. This leakage will give give you a number for the inductance that keeps the primaries from smoothly crossing over between tubes.

You gotta do the short circuit tests before you de-wind, because shorted tests tell you the details of the high frequency end.
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Don't forget the crucial high frequency measurement - the leakage inductances.

You need to measure the plate-to-plate inductance with the secondary shorted. This gives the bulk high end cutoff leakage.

Then measure inductance of half-primary to shorted secondary for each half-primary to get the asymmetry caused by non-symmetrical coupling of half-primaries.

Finally measure the inductance of one half-primary with the other half-primary shorted. This leakage will give give you a number for the inductance that keeps the primaries from smoothly crossing over between tubes.

You gotta do the short circuit tests before you de-wind, because shorted tests tell you the details of the high frequency end.
                    Will do. Unfortunately I can't use the LCR meter /which I borrowed/ but I suppose I can use the other method from the link this time at higher frequencies?

Comment

I did some measurements using the same method. The results are in the table below.
                      The light blue section is leakage inductance of the whole primary.
                      The second table is one half of primary, the shaded section is with the other end of primary shorted to ground. The same applies for table 3.
                      I'm not very much into theory/math so if the calculations below are wrong please correct me.

I know this formula for calculating the reactance for a given leakage inductance:

ZLL=Lx2pixF,

where L is leakage inductance in Henrys and F is the high frequency in this case 20kHz.

If the result is lower than OT's impedance it's OK. In this case OT's impedance is 3800 Ohms.

ZLL=0.0267x6,28x20000=3353.52 which is less than 3800.

Please feel free to make any comments.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What does an amp sound like with this output transformer installed?
                        Bruce

Mission Amps
                        Denver, CO. 80022
                        www.missionamps.com
                        303-955-2412

Comment

I haven't performed listening tests yet but I have that in mind although they will be more or less subjective.

Comment

Working...
                          X