Clear All

Aguilar DB359

I have a nice Aguilar !
    Warm,smooth,BIG sound.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...lar/DB359/10/1

http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/show...uct/506/cat/25

JJ

Comment

No one ever heard of a traynor bass amp? They used to sound the opposite of SVTs. SVTs would crunch bass tones and Traynors would make them sound boomy. Trade secrets are a dime a dozen these days!!

Comment

Sure....my YBA-3 kills for bass. I'm not really a bass player by trade, but I used it recently when I got a last min. call to fill in. Played it thru a newer Ampeg 8-10. Its 2 input master vol version so I could dial in just a bit of overdrive to make it interesting. Geddy tone all night....it was lotsa fun.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          While we're wandering, did anyone else notice that a 100 watt Hammond OT is completely wrong for a pair of 813s?

If you run it at its intended B+ and impedance match, you'll only get 100 watts. The 813s need at least 1500, maybe 2000 or 2500V to get them raging. In this case, the output transformer will start to saturate below something like 200Hz, since it's having to eat so much more voltage than it was designed for. I predict it will sound like crap, and arc over and catch fire within a few minutes.

If you really want to take advantage of these tubes, you need a 20lb custom OT, a plate transformer salvaged from some ham radio boat anchor, a wall of 4x12"s and no neighbours
          Microwave oven transformers are good for 1 Amp@ 1KV and are quite small.

Comment

Unfortunately they're ghetto. The core is so undersized that they draw several amps of magnetizing current from the line. This means they radiate lots of acoustic and magnetic hum, and will overheat if run continuously, even unloaded. Also, one end of the secondary is connected to the core, and there isn't enough insulation at this end to let you disconnect it and use the tranny with a bridge rectifier.

In short, putting one in a tube amp is like putting a weed whacker engine in your lovingly restored '49 Harley-Davidson. And, they give 2kV AC, not 1.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by kg View Post
              gary, i think steve is pointing out that high power, high plate voltage tubes "like" higher plate load impedances, which is correct.

i'd also like to point out the baga: 12x kt90s, 4x el84, 1x 6n1p, 100lbs, 500w. 9 years later on the same kt90s!
              Giving it a higher plate load is not a problem. Besides, there are other 813 projects on the web, which give me the idea in the first place. I'll start with a plate voltage of 1.4 KV, and just take it from there.

-g

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                Unfortunately they're ghetto. The core is so undersized that they draw several amps of magnetizing current from the line. This means they radiate lots of acoustic and magnetic hum, and will overheat if run continuously, even unloaded. Also, one end of the secondary is connected to the core, and there isn't enough insulation at this end to let you disconnect it and use the tranny with a bridge rectifier.

In short, putting one in a tube amp is like putting a weed whacker engine in your lovingly restored '49 Harley-Davidson. And, they give 2kV AC, not 1.
                Ok, best used for Tesla Coils!
                Strange that you used the motorcycle analogy.
                A weed whacker engine in a Charley Davidson might make it go better, but it would still handle like a pig.
                Sorry, I have only ever owned classic Triumphs and the only Harley I would have ever liked to own was a 1942 750 side valve.

Comment

Talking about big bass amps, don't forget the Trace Elliot V8 with 8 KT88 output tubes. Probably nice if you use 8 KT120 too.

Comment

Then there's the Yorkville/Traynor YBA 300 with 12 x 6L6's or EL34's @ 51lbs (23kg)

Have to take out a mortgage to re-tube !

http://www.premierguitar.com/article...ss_Cab_Reviews

http://traynoramps.com/bass/yba/product/yba300/
                    Last edited by oc disorder; 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM.

Comment

as for bass amps... BIG and LOUD.... hard to beat my 400 ps Fender... or my 1200s Sunn, or my YBA3 Traynor.... but i like the tube sound... yes i started playing in the mid '60s....solid states then were not at all reliable...another thing about Jack Bruce was his EB3 Marshall combo.... lots of us thought it was more of a tuba sound...I got to play his eb3 once and regret not buying one then.....ive always played fenders and would still like a short scale bass.... only an eb3 with the rotary switch...

Frank Uboat

Comment

Working...
                      X