Weber 5E3 Gain Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber 5E3 Gain Problem

Hi, guys! I just fired up my Weber 5E3 and there seems to be a Channel Mixing and gain problem. I turn the Volume to >1 and there is WAY to much gain(on all 4 inputs, with a tele.) Also, both Volumes work all 4 jacks i.e.: If the guitar is plugged into Normal 1, the 1st volume is like a Master volume and the 2nd volume is like the gain. I checked all of my connections and they seem to be correct. Any opinions or ideas? Thanks!

Originally posted by MetzBlazetreeto View Post
    Hi, guys! I just fired up my Weber 5E3 and there seems to be a Channel Mixing and gain problem. I turn the Volume to >1 and there is WAY to much gain(on all 4 inputs, with a tele.) Also, both Volumes work all 4 jacks i.e.: If the guitar is plugged into Normal 1, the 1st volume is like a Master volume and the 2nd volume is like the gain. I checked all of my connections and they seem to be correct. Any opinions or ideas? Thanks!
    Yes... regardless if the wiring seems correct, there is a good chance it isn't. Triple check from one end to the other before giving up on doing this yourself.
    Look and see if you have some kind of solder bridge on the tube socket of the V1 or, you don't have a solder bridge on the the point from which the 68K resistors are connected to their respect wires that go to lugs 2 and 7 on V1.
    And, make sure both volume pots are actually grounded at their correct lugs.

Also, the volume controls in a stock 5E3 are interdependent of each other...
    meaning even if you plug into one channel and turn it's volume pot to zero the
    the other (unused) channel will still make some volume... but not as clean.
    To make matter worse, in order to meet a low price point the VST 5E3 kit comes with very cheap Chinese 12AX7s instead of the correct mix of a 12AX7 and a 12AY7.
    You should not be using a 12AX7 in a 5E3 at V1.
    The Chinese ones are pretty harsh and gainy so barely cracking the volume controls will turn the amp on close to full volume.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
    X