need help changing from 2 to 3 prong Grounded cable for univox u45b project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help changing from 2 to 3 prong Grounded cable for univox u45b project

Hello, I am restoring a u45b and I want to solder a grounded cable. Where do i solder the ground from the wire? Also, I am replacing the caps and the tubes and cleaning out the scratchy pots. do i need to bias the tubes? I am hoping that by doing these things The amp will be back in working condition. I've read that the transformer can also be the source of a nonworking amp. How can i tell if it is leaking or if its the problem? this is my first time working on an amp.
    Thanks for all your time!

The power tranformer should be in the same area the power cord enters the chassis, loosen one of the nuts and put a solder lug under it to attach the ground lead. It's a good idea to take a little sandpaper to brighten the metal up under it to get a good connection.

That amp is cathode biased, you don't need to bias the power tube.
    Stop by my web page!

Comment

That's a good start to change that. I also have a U45B. It's a little screamer dimed! You can almost get it sounding like a baby Marshall. Back off just a tad off "10", and it gets good early-Stones crunch.

In case you need schematics, (and also a there's a forum), go here:

http://www.univox.org/

You say it's your first amp repair. I hope you've read the safety procedures, and are following them? #1 thing is don't touch anything grounded (amp chassis, metal workbench, etc) with one hand while you're fingers and knuckles and wrist of the other are poking around inside a live amp. Inevitably, you WILL touch something hot...especially if you ignore the rules. Also, read up on how to discharge caps.

Make sure the white wire goes to the switch/fuse, the black goes to the other, and do as Regis suggested and put a lug on the ground and tighten the nearest transformer nut down around it. (You can even flow some solder down into the wire/lug after crimping the lug on, if you wish. You'll have a hard time trying to solder a wire to a ground spot unless you have a high wattage iron, and a lug will hold better anyway.)

Don't make the wires any longer than needed, but leave a bit of slack. Leave about an inch or so of the unstripped cord casing inside the amp so you can tighten up a nylon zip tie against the inside chassis to keep the cord from pulling out.
      And make sure there is a rubber grommet in the cord hole around the cord. NEVER leave a cord rubbing bare metal.

You didn't exactly mention why you questioned the transformer. What is the amp doing, (or not doing) that caused a transformer question?

Brad1

Comment

Thank you for your help guys!
        Yes this is my first attempt and I have read and will continue to read up on safety procedures.
        Regarding the transformer, I'm only questioning it because it seems to be a common problem, after I finish with the caps and tubes, if the amp still doesnt work, thats my next logical step.
        Thanks for the tip on discharging caps, just read up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1 View Post
          Make sure the white wire goes to the switch/fuse, the black goes to the other,
          Wouldn't that be switching the neutral? Isn't the opposite what we'd want?
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Yeah, bad advise for sure.
            Black (hot) wire to the fuse & then the switch.

Comment

Working...
            X