Dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question

Do I need to jumper lead the channels on a 5E3 to get more gain , different tones ? I have heard about the interactive volumes , but if I turn up one volume whilst plugged into the other , not much happens ? Told you it was a dumb question .
    Mick

yes you need to put a jumper cable from the low input of the channel your guitar is plugged into and the other end in the high input of the other channel.

Comment

Originally posted by mick View Post
      Do I need to jumper lead the channels on a 5E3 to get more gain , different tones ? I have heard about the interactive volumes , but if I turn up one volume whilst plugged into the other , not much happens ? Told you it was a dumb question .
      Mick
      Mick--
      Not necessarily, if you've got the volumes and tone wired per the Fender schematic.

If you plug into the bright channel, run its volume less than full up, and run the normal channel volume between 3 and 5 o'clock, you'll notice that as you turn it up from 3 to 5 o'clock, the sound cleans up dramatically.

The series resistance of the bright channel's volume control (being less than full up) and the plate impedance (plus any series resistance in the normal volume control if it's not full up) of the normal channel preamp triode form a voltage divider, which lowers the signal level going into the driver/PI.

There's a ton of crisp and clean tones in there with a varying degree of mids & bass and "bark" on tap via the normal channel's volume control.

HTH!

C ya,
      Dutch

Comment

Working...
      X