Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube preamp?

Hey Folks,
    Will a "real Mctube" preamp be suitable to drive a 100w solid state power amp? Or, Do I need something more complex? Im looking for a simple preamp to drive a 100w peavey power amp. Can the real Mctube be tube rectified rather than diode? How easy is this to change?
    -Erin

I doubt it. The Real McTube isn't really a tube preamp, it's more like an OD FX pedal with a tube in it. It is made for driving the front end of an amp, i.e., one that already has a preamp.

You could make the RMcT tube rectified but why? What do you want to accomplish by doing this?

Having built a Real McTube, I have to say that it doesn't sound all that great.

One thing to consider: build a small champ type amp. Run the output into a Behringer GI100 speaker simulator, run the line out of the speaker sim into a your Peavey power amp. Make sure you load the champ's output transformer with a speaker or some type of power resistor. With this set up you take advantage of the power tube output distortion and color it with a speaker simulator.

chuck

Originally posted by lexluthier72 View Post
    Hey Folks,
    Will a "real Mctube" preamp be suitable to drive a 100w solid state power amp? Or, Do I need something more complex? Im looking for a simple preamp to drive a 100w peavey power amp. Can the real Mctube be tube rectified rather than diode? How easy is this to change?
    -Erin

Comment

Thats a good idea....BUT....Im looking for something relatively small. Ive seen a number of tube preamps, but most of them are aimed at HIFI....? I guess my question should have been....Im looking for a layout/schematic for a small tube driven preamp....If I get no answers, I may just go the champ route, but Id like even smaller.
      -Erin

Comment

Bump.....anyone have a stand alone 12ax7 preamp schematic/layout for guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by lexluthier72 View Post
          Bump.....anyone have a stand alone 12ax7 preamp schematic/layout for guitar?
          Alembic preamp:

Pretty easy to build, but you probably won't get any grind out of it without a pedal.

This book has a tube preamp in it that has a clean and dirty channel:

http://www.londonpower.com/books/tot.htm

It has the layout and schematic.

chuck

Comment

thanks Chuck

Comment

The alembic looks like what im after. Any recommendations on a PT? Also, if anyone has a good turret board layout for this, that would be great.
              -Erin

Comment

That's essentially a standard Fender Normal channel. You should be able to use the BF Champ layout up to the input of the 6V6. With a couple of minor component changes, including the addition of the bright cap on the volume control and a single input, the layout is exact.

I'm currently building a bass preamp for my brother and am using 2 Hammond 229 series PT's in a back to back configuration. We talked about this back in November, here's the link http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...er+transformer

Here's a link to the Hammond info sheet http://www.hammondmfg.com/229.htm.
                Last edited by Jag; 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X