No announcement yet.

Need advice fixing Boss Dr.55 drum machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stickers like that can mean anything. Like the paper in new underwear, it might be the person who inspected it. it could be a revision number, as in first revision. It could refer to varieties of circuit, some models share the same boards. It could indicate which assembly line it came from. etc etc
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

hello everyone. i am new to this forum and a novice at electronics repair. i just bought a non-working dr-55 from a guy on craigslist for $40 with the hope of fixing it. it turns on and the hi hats work, but that is it

any tips?

Comment

Hey guys! I have a Dr-55 which sat for many years without use. I sold it on Ebay and the guy that got it said the battery holder did not work. He put it on a 9 volt battery and said it did not work. Since it was designed to work on 6 volts, could his home repair cause it not to work. It turns on but you only hear one beat but tempo volume etc works. Please advis. Thank, Steve

Comment

i've used my DR.55 on 9v before for short time, and i found it worked fine. the one pulse thing when you press start is exactly what my machine was doing when it was broken, the fix for me was replacing the 4011 chip.

Comment

Originally posted by methodofcontrol View Post
            i've used my DR.55 on 9v before for short time, and i found it worked fine. the one pulse thing when you press start is exactly what my machine was doing when it was broken, the fix for me was replacing the 4011 chip.
            Is this a difficult repair? I have a low wattage soldering iron but do not want to make it worse. Thanks, Steve

Comment

if you feel like replacing the chip is beyond your resources, you can send it to me and i'll replace it for you. i already have an extra chip. PM me if you're interested and we'll hash out the details.

Comment

DR-55

Hello! Thank you for your help on this forum. I think the drummer in our band tried running the DR-55 at 12 Volts! This obviously brought the machine down... After this, it only made one sound whether in play or write mode and would not play a pattern... I replaced the 4011 as suggested here and now it plays again! ! Unfortunately it only plays one sound really now though. Also unfortunately, in Write mode... it is the same problem. You can only hear one sound no matter if you are on SD or BD or what not.

After replacing the 4011 what is the next thing that is recommended to replace?

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Comment

Anyone? Looks like I'm in the same position..

Comment

Originally posted by Tobynbritt View Post
                    I was a bonehead and plugged a 12v adapter into my dr 55 and It seems to be done for. The led blinks a bit when I turn it on but that's all I can get out of it. Would I have any luck replacing the IC's or is this thing shot? I'm fairly new to electronics and the 55's PCB is kinda overwhelming for me. Not really sure how to start and I really don't want to buy a new one. Love this little guy.

Thanks!
                    You HAVE plugged something in to the "output" jack, right?
                    The DR-55 only works if there's something plugged in.. open circuit protection..

Otherwise, it's usually the 4011 chip. Be aware that the DR-55 is "picky" about exactly which type of 4011.
                    I had one where a CD4011BE (from Maplins) didn't work, but a CD4011UBE did. One is faster than the other apparently?..

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think the difference is the U, which if I recall correctly mean unbuffered outputs. I don't know why that would matter in this unit.

Really, you should start a new thread for yours so we don't confuse things that were done to the other one. We already seem to have a half dozen different units in the thread.

And then tell us just what the story is on yours, I don't know what same position means here. You plugged the wrong adaptor in yours and it now just sometimes blinks like the first guy?

And if someone has a schematic it would be great to post it. My schematic inventory lists having it, but it is buried in my storage unit
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        I could be wrong, but I think the difference is the U, which if I recall correctly mean unbuffered outputs. I don't know why that would matter in this unit.

Really, you should start a new thread for yours so we don't confuse things that were done to the other one. We already seem to have a half dozen different units in the thread.

And then tell us just what the story is on yours, I don't know what same position means here. You plugged the wrong adaptor in yours and it now just sometimes blinks like the first guy?

And if someone has a schematic it would be great to post it. My schematic inventory lists having it, but it is buried in my storage unit
                        Ok, will do!

Comment

Originally posted by Tobynbritt View Post
                          So the light doesn't actually come on, it just flashes when I turn it on and off. Should I go ahead and order the 4011 chip? Does that diode need to be replaced?

Thanks!
                          You do know that the DR-55 needs something plugged in to the output before it will work? Just making sure..

Comment

Working...
                          X