stromberg carlson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stromberg carlson

got an old Sc signet 33 i am working on im new at this so try to bear with my ignorance but i need to know how to calculate the proper value and how to install a bias pot for this amp
    as well this amp has a tube taht perplexes me it has a 6U8 which i am familiar with as an occilator tube but not as a preamp tube it handles the phase inversian task as well as a gain stage for the phono channell
    will evil things happen if say i swap this tube with a 12ax7

Evil things? Well it won't work for one thing. The two tubes have very different pin assignments.

Bias supplies are all calculated the same. STart with the voltage at the first filter. This would be the "raw" bias voltage. Then decide the target voltage - the bias voltage we want at the tubes themselves. I know you want a ranfe, but pick the voltage at the center of that range.

Now it is a matter of creating a voltage divider. From that raw supply, there is probably a resistor to the second filter, and from there a resistor to ground. The bias for the tubes comes off the second filter. The voltage at the second filter will be a percentage of the raw voltage, and that determined by the ratio of the first resistor and the resistor to ground. Specifically, the bias will be the percentage determined by the ground resistor divided by both resistors added together.

For example of the raw negative supply was -80 volts, and the first resistor was 10k, and the resistor to ground was also 10k. Then the point where the resistors meet - the point where the second filter connects - would be -40 volts. 10k/(10k+10k) x 80 volts = 40

Let's say we want to make the 40 volts adjustable. Then we vary the ration of the two resistances. Typically we make the lower resistor a variable one. So if we replace the lower 10k resistor with a 20k pot, then with that pot set midway, 10k itself, we would get the original 40 volts again. But if we dial it all the way up to 20k, then the bias voltage will be:

20k/(20k+10k) x 80v = 20k/30k x 80v = 2/3 x 80v = 53 volts more or less.

And of we dialed the pot all the way over to zero, then the bias voltage would be... uh oh...zero. That because the pot would now be grounding the bias voltage.

So instead of a 20k pot, I might replace the 20k pot with a 5k resistor and a 15k pot in series. Or whatever. Point being we don't want to let bias ever be zero, so instead of a simple pot, we use a pot AND resistor so there will always be a minimum.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thank you for the bias info
      what would be a sutable sub
      the two i was given were
      the 6ea8 and the ecf80
      are there any others or are these even good subs

Comment

Sub? I'd just get another 6U8. Looking at Antique Electronics, they sub a 6KD8 for it, and they ask $5.85 for the tube.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

ok if we are dealing with 470 ohm resitors what pot and resistor are we talking about and where cani get replacement feet or are the stick on computer kind ok because i have a lot of those in my parts bin

Comment

I've got a SC model 33 with tubes from the early fifties, the amp is my holy grail for tone standards. I love the way it sounds.

MikeY

Comment

yeah it was given to me for a consulting job and when i craked it open the power section was almost identical to a 59 bassman so i threw a small party and ave since then been modding it into my ultamate tone machine which so far sounds awsome with a tele plugged into it it dosent like my prs at all so i am modding it into a both a more usefull rocking machine over all and dialing in adjustments such as tone capacitors to bring it into perfection i am thinging on a couple switches on the tone caps to add a little extra or less capacitance mid show to adjust tone

Comment

ok im an idiot and the first to admit it the power amp pof the unit is vaugly similar to a bassman in the same way that a ac30 is similar and it is cathode biased bye yall

Comment

In case you're still interested, JPB has posted a schematic of the Signet 33 in a new thread: stromberg carlson signet 33 amp
                  -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

I took off the bottom plate cover to my stromberg carlson signet 33 and found the schematic sheet attached to it. I got this a few days ago from a thrift store $10.99. I'm currently charging up my camera battery and soon will load up pics.

Comment

i just scored one also, $60 bucks tho it still a steal in my book. original 6l6gc, 7025, ecc83, and 5u4. there are several subs for a 6u8 just search, i think a 6gh8 is
                      the most common iirc. but 6u8 are everywhere cheap so who cares. i pulled the original 12ax7's and 6l6's put them up and stuck some new ruby's that came out of a 6505 peavey in it. played it for an hour slamming a 4x12 cab on 10 and it never hiccuped once. I haven't checked the schem against a 5f6 yet but i bet it is close or at least can be rearranged to emulate it very closely. i bet one day these will be sought after like a plexi maybe.

oh by the way just unsolder the mic inputs from the center outside of the mic hookup and pull the wire with the cap out toward the inside of the amp, save the insulating washer that comes off the mic hookup and use that to insulate the 1/4 jack you will install. solder the wire with the cap to tip of the jack and the ground wire to the ring of the jack and your ready to play guitar.

Comment

Working...
                      X