Why can't I.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I.........

...build a combo cabinet simply by making a well squared baffleboard then screwing 2 pieces of pine together using the baffleboard to keep the cabinet square? I would also use a 1/4 lower back and another piece across the tubes like on the typical combo. I have build speaker cabs like this before and they seemed to sound fine and lasted. is there a reason i can't do this instead of finger jointed or other types of construction that i don't have the tools for?

Hi daz,

I too lack proper finger jointing equipment and have to do everything with a handsaw etc, and I sort of did my recent 5F2A cabinet like you are suggesting, used bits of 1" square beading to strengthen and align the 3/4" pine sides/top/bottom and baffle and back bits (see photo). With PK screws and polyurethane glue, it works like a charm.
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thats what i keep thinking because i've built several like that. But reading here i started to worry about doing it that way because it seems like no one does. In any case it may not even matter now because i came across a combo cab just like i wanted to build pretty cheap. So i may end up buying it if the dimensions will work out. Like i say i've built several, but i really HATE doing it because i don't have the proper tools and it's a real PITA. If i had a garage and the tools ,like table saws and such i'd enjoy doing it.

Comment

This is what I would do. My carpentry skills suck, and doing finger joints are out of the question.

If you use the internal corner braces, good wood glue, and screw it from the inside it would be fine. If you want to rout the edges be careful about the length of the screws you use.

A lot of economy amps from the old days used this kind of construction, I have a Kay like that and the old Silvertones were also built that way.

Plus the fingerjointed cabs ain't all that. I've seen several that have cracked and busted loose. My Bassman 100 was like that before I repaired the cabinet.
        Stop by my web page!

Comment

I was skepitcal about finger joints my self ,until I did them.. and they are a far better joint than a butt or a rabbit joint , they are a pain in the ass to get right
          but when you do they are very easy to do
          Jerry
          www.vintageheadbox.com

Comment

I recently made a combo amp using a battery powered skill saw. I used butt joints and gorilla glue. I drove finish nails about halfway while the thing was clamped and drying. I pulled the nails before routing the edges (never had used router before) and then replaced and set the nails. It really is amazing what a little wood filler and a lot of sanding will hide. I used no 2 pine and actually spent more on the leather handle than the rest of the cabinet. It aint perfect but I got it done. Pics here:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...=nav_tab_album

I put a 10 watt modded Bogen PA chassis in it that I had gutted and rebuilt into a 5F2A.

Sure it would be nice to have a table saw, etc. but it is possible to make a semi decent cab without the fancy tools.

66merc

Comment

Heres a pic of a HIWATT Build Im doing with the figner joints

Jerry
              www.vintageheadbox.com

Comment

Nice work on the finger joints. Wondering how you cut that groove---not sure what it's called. I've always wondered why there is an indention in the finished tweed---how exactly does the tolex fit into this groove?

66merc

Comment

I made the groove with my table saw Just set up the fence to the width I wanted and pushed the box thru it .. The tolex goes right over the top and then you cut a slit in the tolex to put in your piping...
                  Jerry
                  www.vintageheadbox.com

Comment

Jerry,
                    Nice work!
                    Can you tell me how you cut the piping slot on that rounded edge?
                    WT

Comment

Originally posted by WMThompson View Post
                      Jerry,
                      Nice work!
                      Can you tell me how you cut the piping slot on that rounded edge?
                      WT
                      Just run it thru the Saw on the Face side and the Back side
                      Jerry
                      www.vintageheadbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X