Tweed Application Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome job Spicoli!
    It looks like a color shot from an old Fender catalog!
    Keep it up!
    WT

Comment

Well, just finished putting the tweed side panels on and doing the corners. What a breeze that was using the pinch technique described in spicoli's post! My corners came out absolutely perfect! I used the tolex glue from Antique and that seems to be a pleasure to work with. Not much of an odor at all and it sets up fairly quick. I was planning on doing one panel a night, then having to rig up some kind of clamp or vacuum press. Turns out it just sticks right on there.

Thanks again to everyone. I'll post some pics when I finish the tweed. I'll probably go with the same polyurethane treatment that spicoli tried. That looks good.

Comment

I would like to build the same cabinet too!

Originally posted by VictoryNVH View Post
        I have done a lot of searching for a good explanation on the tweed application process without finding too much. Are people keeping their secrets to themselves or am I overlooking something. I'll be building my first cabinet this weekend and would like to do the tweed covering. However, I'm a perfectionist and do not want to use the chrome corner protectors so does anyone have any good tips on what to use to apply the tweed (adhesive), and on how to do the corners? I'll be building a cabinet for a 5E3 from Scott Cole's plans so if there are any cabinet specific instructions for this one I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.

By the way - I just joined the forum today so "hello" to everyone. I've fallen head over heels into this whole tube amp thing after discovering the schematic to the 5E3 about two weeks ago. I have just about all of the parts in hand now so I'll be building the cabinet this weekend and the chassis next week. I'm an experienced woodworker, and a Noise and Vibration engineer so this seems like a perfect hobby (not that I need another one).

Thank you to everyone on this board - I have read a lot of posts over the past week or so and have learned an incredible amount from the knowledge you put forth for others.
        I would like to use the same cabinet plans but just as a cabinet and have a separate head. Do you have the dimensions. The 1/2 scale was not to scale.

Comment

Took me a while to get pictures uploaded but here they are!

Quick link to photos of my completed amplifier

Now I'm trying to figure out what to build next - a Les Paul, a Tele, or another amp...

Thanks again to all who provided the helpful tips!

Comment

Thanks!

I'm making a few modifications since the Amp will be separate. Got the dimensions today and I'm ready to buy the lumber.
            Thanks again!

Comment

The vox black tolex maybe good

Originally posted by VictoryNVH View Post
              I have done a lot of searching for a good explanation on the tweed application process without finding too much. Are people keeping their secrets to themselves or am I overlooking something. I'll be building my first cabinet this weekend and would like to do the tweed covering. However, I'm a perfectionist and do not want to use the chrome corner protectors so does anyone have any good tips on what to use to apply the tweed (adhesive), and on how to do the corners? I'll be building a cabinet for a 5E3 from Scott Cole's plans so if there are any cabinet specific instructions for this one I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.

By the way - I just joined the forum today so "hello" to everyone. I've fallen head over heels into this whole tube amp thing after discovering the schematic to the 5E3 about two weeks ago. I have just about all of the parts in hand now so I'll be building the cabinet this weekend and the chassis next week. I'm an experienced woodworker, and a Noise and Vibration engineer so this seems like a perfect hobby (not that I need another one).

Thank you to everyone on this board - I have read a lot of posts over the past week or so and have learned an incredible amount from the knowledge you put forth for others.
              If you dislike chrome corner, commonly you have to select the balck plastic corner, it is better use black fence and black vox tolex.Certainly, it is depend on what you can buy and which style you like

Comment

Working...
              X