Confusing problem here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing problem here...

I built a modified version of a 5E1, made even simpler than the originals. No controls, just a power switch, no negative feedback. The power transformer is just an isolation transformer, with the filament tranny separate. It's half-wave, solid-state rectified, about a 160v B+. Filter caps are both 40uf. Other than that I think it's standard 5E1.

Now, the interesting part: All the voltages seem to be about right, but there's no output. Every now and then, a buzz very gradually comes and goes. If I touch the jack, it *sometimes* buzzes loudly like it would if you did that on a working amp. If I touch anything attached to the grid of the second gain stage, it buzzes quieter, as one would expect from a working amp, and touching the power amp grid produces a very quiet buzz. However, no instrument input at any stage causes anything at all to happen.

I've searched for a long time and cannot find anything unusual except the strange selective output. Any ideas?
    Sine Guitars
    Low-Impedance Pickups

http://sineguitars.webs.com

Oh, I forgot to mention that this problem occurred on the first power-up, and I couldn't figure it out. Since it's such a simple circuit, I took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it. The only parts that were common to both attempts were the filter caps, OT, a few resistors, and maybe a signal cap or two. The PT, rectifier, tubes, sockets, etc. were replaced.

I started the rebuilt one up, and it did exactly the same thing.
    Sine Guitars
    Low-Impedance Pickups

Comment

Post your schematic. I'd be thinking wiring error first.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A B+ of 160V sounds awfully low.

Your no-knobs approach - you did put a 1M resistor in place of the volume pot, and attached the grid of the second triode to the 'top' of that resistor, right?

-- like enzo said, your schematic would really help.

Comment

What type input jack did you use? Did you connect to the correct terminals? The widely available import jacks have terminals in a different order than the old Switchcraft jacks.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
            What type input jack did you use? Did you connect to the correct terminals? The widely available import jacks have terminals in a different order than the old Switchcraft jacks.
            Yes, that happened to me recently. Brand X shorting jacks have the hot and tab reversed from the Switchcraft 12a.
            Stop by my web page!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Moose View Post
              A B+ of 160V sounds awfully low.

Your no-knobs approach - you did put a 1M resistor in place of the volume pot, and attached the grid of the second triode to the 'top' of that resistor, right?

-- like enzo said, your schematic would really help.
              True, 160v is low, but I've got two other amps that run on 170, and one of those has a 6v6 and sounds great.

I'm pretty sure I put in that resistor. It's possible I could have missed it, I'll check.

I haven't got time to post the schematic now, I'll try to put it up later today.

The jack is the same brand I always use.
              Sine Guitars
              Low-Impedance Pickups

Comment

Working...
              X