Modern Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Capacitors

It seem to me that people shy away from the newer smaller electrolytics that are available. Like these Panasonic caps

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/502...ca-2wm220.html

Parts vendors who cater to tube DIYers don't stock them - but they are small and cheap -22uF / 450 volt caps are less than a dollar each if you buy more than 10.

Any insights?

Andrew M.

Well, those are radial leads, and that means mountuing on a pc board unless you want to lay them down and splice and extension onto one lead. If you read much on this board, you'll find most guys into tweaking/modifying/building amps are not into pc boards. They will want axial leads for mounting parts on eyelet boards, turret boards, or tag boards.

I got nothing against parts like that, but I am in the repair biz rather than a builder. Look in modern amps and you will see radial caps and radial snap-in caps all the time.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I use them anytime I can. Below is a 5E3 type amp with radials. The board is on standoffs and the equalizing resistors are on the back. Just drilled extra holes and installed eyelets. I use the 105C types whenever possible. Replacing them won't be easy.
      Attached Files
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I was surprised that people rebuild capacitors, sometimes in the empty original cans to keep the vintage look

Here's one for paper caps:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/cap_replace.html

but I think I first noticed it on Bob Pletka's Eurotubes site.

S.

Comment

I use them all the time. For my Ninja Deluxe project, I squished a 40 watt 6L6 amp with spring reverb and channel switching into a 5E3 cabinet. This wouldn't have been possible without the new small capacitors.

Having said that, miniature Alpha pots, solid-state rectifiers and CAD helped a lot too. And it still ended up weighing about 40lbs, straining the carrying handle to its limits :/
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
          X