Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrow Panel Deluxe question

...what most refer to as the 5E3.

Just from looking at the schematic, and it's similarities with the Champ (aside from the twin 6V6's), I had assumed that this was a Class A P/P output section.

I've read statements of AB and A from some pretty smart folks...and just would like to see what the concensus is.

This applies to the original design. IOW, what was this 5E3 originally 'intented' to be?

Originally posted by Earl View Post
    ...what most refer to as the 5E3.

Just from looking at the schematic, and it's similarities with the Champ (aside from the twin 6V6's), I had assumed that this was a Class A P/P output section.

I've read statements of AB and A from some pretty smart folks...and just would like to see what the concensus is.

This applies to the original design. IOW, what was this 5E3 originally 'intented' to be?
    I would say, to be fair, only Leo Fender would know the answer to that.
    I think they are PP, Class Ab1 with just high idle current.
    Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Earl View Post
      Just from looking at the schematic, and it's similarities with the Champ
      (aside from the twin 6V6's), I had assumed that this was a Class A P/P output section.
      A clearcut answer to this question is hard to find. The big difference between
      a 5E3 and a Champ is the phase inverter and its driver. Since I don't have a
      5E3 (yet) to look at with a scope all I can say is that it's probably class AB if
      the PI can drive it into AB (and if the cathode bias will let it) and class A if it
      can't.

Surely Bruce knows the definitive answer to this

Paul P
      Last edited by Paul P; 04-07-2008, 04:55 PM.

Comment

More than likely, you just can't tell...unless you measure it. And *if* you use the strict definition of "A", with a 360 degree full power plate conduction angle - it's possible that even a tube change could knock it into, or out of the class definition.

Tubes are generally spec'd in their center of operation, and the saturation and cut-off points probably vary quite a bit, between tubes.

What I've found is that a LOT of Leo's amps (the old ones) came pretty much right out of the old Receiving Tube Manuals...and I'll bet there's a very similar schemo for a "5E3" in one of them ol' books.

Comment

Working...
        X