stack jazz bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stan H View Post
    One last quick question about the stacked bucker. Would you wind both coils in the same direction and tie the finishes just like a regular humbucker? Well, I guess in the case of a "single coil" you would probably tie the starts to keep the hot away from the mags...
    I wind all my humbuckers in the same direction. All these stacks have grounded magnets, so I wouldn't worry about the starts near the magnets. I think it's too much work to wind in two directions, and I never found any advantage in it. But that's me.

Originally posted by David King View Post
    I think I would wind one reverse and use the starts as my hots so the outer wraps can act as a shield. If I were going over 7-8k I'd hook them up in parallel but I don't know nothing about them yet.
    I read this all the time, but I don't see how the outer wraps wound be a shield. They aren't at ground potential, they part of the same coil. From one end to the other is just later in time (phase). Think of a marble rolling down a long coiled tube.

Some of the stacks, like DiMarzio Virtual Vintage are only wired in series. I think the ones with dummy coils need to be in series to work well. EMG's are in parallel, because they use a differential op amp scheme.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
      I use the magnet in between the top and bottom coil like seen on the P-100.
      This makes the polepieces south (or north) and prevents from magnetic shorts.
      That looks cool. I did my Tele bridge pickup with the magnets like a P-90, but I didn't put the magnets in the middle. I was planning on doing the next one like that.

I wanted something on the loud side, but ended up with a very vintage Tele tone... a lot brighter than I expected.
      Attached Files
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hello Dave,
        if you have the chance go and try the magnet in the middle.The magnet acts like a shield between the coils,just like the iron shield fender or dimarz use in their stacks.And you will have same magnetic strenght in both coils.
        They have a bid more output but still act like a sinlecoil.I use verry thin wire....

Comment

Davie, That's very clever. Some day i'll give it a try.

Comment

thanks for all replies

Comment

Great thread! Lots of good info about stack PUs.
              Just made my version of 51-style stack.
              http://music-electronics-forum.com/t...35/#post496535
              First impressions are quite nice. It has thick lo end, but sound is good. I found that with bass control -6 dB I can get old style thinner sound. The PU's character seems to be right, which is important to me.
              Last edited by okabass; 05-27-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X