Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 master volume?

hi there,

i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good master volume circuit for the 5e3 tweed deluxe. i know there are various ways of doing it, but would like some suggestions, and/or layouts of pleasing circuits.

thanks very much,

andy

I have no experience with this but Matchless used an interesting master
    volume in their amps that is simplicity itself. Just a pot between the two
    grids of the power tubes. See :daz was going to try this out so you might want to wait for him to report
    back.

Paul P

Comment

I've tried the "Matchless" type MV, and it works OK for small volume reductions (e.g. 3-6dB). When you get to the really useful range, it starts to cut lots of bass so the sound gets really thin (because of the low impedance the pot creates after the PI coupling caps). It is also very twichy, almost like and on-off switch (loud... loud... loud... silent!).

A much better solution is using a stereo pot. Add the stereo pot as a regular volume control on each side of the PI outputs (after the coupling caps). Replace the 220k resistors with 2M2. The result is essentially a stock amp when the master is on full. The 2M2 resistors are there for safety to ensure a path to ground if the wiper of the pots fail.

Comment

I have had some very good results with the Matchless style "Crossline?" master volume, but not with a cathodyne style PI like the 5E3 uses. I really don't think that amp is well suited for a MV, because a large part of the majic comes from the power tube distortion that it developes when turned up. But I haven't actually tried one, so I wouldn't want to disuade you from trying it for yourself, just don't use the Crossline style MV. I'd go with a Ken Fisher style if I was doing it, just because of the ease of installation and the transparency on tone.

Personally, I just use a Weber Load Dump on my 5E3X2H (H is for Hasse). Works great, is inexpensive and simple to use.

Comment

Working...
        X