Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size fuse to put in O.T. center-tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size fuse to put in O.T. center-tap?

The previous owner of my Fender Bassman had installed an in-line fuse holder (with a 200mA fuse in it) and this was wired into the centre-tap wire for the O.T. This was a Torres mod BTW. This 200mA tube burnt-up a couple of weeks ago due to a power tube blowing.

Well, I was reading in Dan Torres' book and he suggested a 160mA fuse for two 6L6 tubes(which is what I've got). I was only able to find a 175mA fuse and when I took the amp off standby, this fuse popped right away. I then tried another 175mA and naturally that one blew too, so I guess that I'll have to go to at least a 200mA or 1/4 amp fuse to avoid this problem.

I'm wondering if Torres meant a Slo-Blow fuse when he recommended a 160mA fuse? Do you fellows have any suggestions here?

Right now I have a 1/4 amp fast-acting fuse in there and it hasn't popped but I'm wondering if I shouldn't go back to a 200mA, what do you guys recommend?

Only use a fast blow. 250 sounds safe. Marshalls use 500 for two tubes. There is an extensive treatment of this subject in one of the O'Connor books, but I can't find it at the moment.

Comment

Most Marshalls I can think of use slow blow fuses. That is what the T means in T500ma - timed fuse. I would in fact recommend only slow blow fuses for this. Otherwise turn-onm surges will pop the fats blow fuse way too often. WHat we call a nuisance blow.

Since the Fender Bassman got along for decades without this fuse, and as far as I know the Bassman has never been known as a tube eater or transformer killer, just what exactly is the problem this added fuse prevents? Like the man says, Marshall used 500ma for a pair of tubes. Now you want to use only a third as much of a fuse. A fuse that small is not only expensive, it also doesn't allow much headroom over normal operation.

A fast fuse that close to power peaks is likely to blow from nothing more than a slapped note or other loud transient.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Humbucker View Post
        The previous owner of my Fender Bassman had installed an in-line fuse holder (with a 200mA fuse in it) and this was wired into the centre-tap wire for the O.T. This was a Torres mod BTW. This 200mA tube burnt-up a couple of weeks ago due to a power tube blowing.

Well, I was reading in Dan Torres' book and he suggested a 160mA fuse for two 6L6 tubes(which is what I've got). I was only able to find a 175mA fuse and when I took the amp off standby, this fuse popped right away. I then tried another 175mA and naturally that one blew too, so I guess that I'll have to go to at least a 200mA or 1/4 amp fuse to avoid this problem.

I'm wondering if Torres meant a Slo-Blow fuse when he recommended a 160mA fuse? Do you fellows have any suggestions here?

Right now I have a 1/4 amp fast-acting fuse in there and it hasn't popped but I'm wondering if I shouldn't go back to a 200mA, what do you guys recommend?
        i think the fact that the original fuse installed in the amp served its purpose admirably should be a primary factor in sizing a replacement.

in my experience fuse sizing is an iterative process. buy a couple of boxes of various sizes and keep going down in value until it blows unnecessarily, then go one step back. you've basically done most of that testing already!

fwiw i use fast blow 500ma fuses in the baga center taps. it is designed in such a way that the bias supply is always up before the main B+ (625vdc ) though, so there is no turn on surge across those fuses to accommodate.

Comment

Yeah, it seemed like the original 200mA fast-acting fuse was holding up okay before I had a tube failure but I'm thinking that that might be a little too close for comfort. I think that I'll just go with a 250mA time delay fuse and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Humbucker View Post
            Yeah, it seemed like the original 200mA fast-acting fuse was holding up okay before I had a tube failure but I'm thinking that that might be a little too close for comfort. I think that I'll just go with a 250mA time delay fuse and call it a day.
            no matter which way you look at it, replacing a 200ma fast blow with a 250ma slow blow is putting more stress on components during a failure.

you have to really study your motivations for taking on the additional risk of turning a $20 output valve and 50c. fuse replacement into a $20 output valve + $200 transformer replacement.

personally i wouldn't change the value. i'd put the 200ma fast blow back in the amp, and i would also tape a 250ma fast blow to the cabinet for a last ditch "just in case" during a gig or something. if the amp blew both 200 and 250 then it would clearly be at fault and it should be opened up to determine what happened.

Comment

Working...
            X