Marshall Valvestate vs100 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Valvestate vs100 Problem

I use this head to play at home. It's a solid state, 4 ohm, 100 watt head. I was playing on it and it just lost power and stopped working. It will not turn on at all. I haven't opened it up and looked at it yet, but I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice?

This head is cheap and not very nice, so if the repair is troublesome or expensive I'm just going to forget about it. Just thought someone who knows more than me about the subject could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

If it doesnt power up at all, i.e. no power light, etc, I'd check the fuses.

Comment

re: fuses

how do I check the fuses, and how much do they cost to repair (buy)? thanks.

Comment

Fuses are about $1 a piece and you can get them at home depot usually or an Auto part's store locally. Chances are if it blew that one it will blow again but I guess it's worth the try. There are two dropping resistors in that amp going to the +/- 15 volt rails that get pretty hot which is a design flaw. Most of the problems or around there but I have also seen the output transistors go bad and cause fuse blows also so good luck with it either way.
        KB

Comment

Try this...?

see if there is an output IC mounted to a heatsink (probably a TDA7293) very common for marshall solid state amps. unplug any connectors going to the small PC board on the heatsink, replace the fuse, if the fuse does not blow, replace the connector(s) power on.. if the fuse blows the problem in in the output IC you can get from www.digikey.com as far as not wanting to get "too involved" it is worth a little time and trouble to replace the IC (if not contact me and maybe we could work something out? I live in stratford NJ USA) also checkout posts on Marshall AVT150, Marshall MG100, AVT275 etc for more info
          Last edited by quazcha; 04-12-2008, 05:08 AM. Reason: afterthoughts

Comment

Nah, this amp is 10-12 years old or so, the power stage is discrete. Used the BDV transistors, which are like the preferable TIP142/TIP147 types.

Look on the heat sink for the larger transistors and see if they are shorted. That is by far the most likely reason for a mains fuse blown. And a mains fuse is the most likely thing to cause the amp to be dead.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks very much for all the advice. this website is really amazing. I have two questions about what people have been saying. First, is it true that if I simply replace the blown fuse(s), the head will work, but is likely to blow again?

And second, how can i identify the heat sink? Thanks alot.

Comment

No, that is not the likely scenario. SOmetimes fuses just blow from age, but mostly they blow for a reason. And in those cases, if you slap a new fuse in there it will blow right now, as opposed to three days later. Even if there is some intermittent problem, like a shorting tube, it might work briefly, but the bad tube will take out the fuse soon enough. That is because the underlying problem was not solved.

A heat sink is a general term for a passive cooling device. SOmething that helps drain heat away from some parts. The cooling fins on a motorcycle engine or the motor of a lawn mower would be a heat sink of sorts. In amps, heat sinks are generally aluminum things with fins on them. In your amp they would be black things on the main circuit board. Each one would have a transistor or two clamped to it, either by a metal clip or by a screw through a mounting hole.

Yours looks different, but here is a heat sink

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

ok, thanks for the advice. I opened up the amp to take a look. there are 4 heat sinks. each has one transistor clamped to it, except for the one second from left -- it has two transistors clamped to it. They are clamped to either side. Because of the layout, it's really hard to look very closely at all but one of the transistors.

How will I be able to tell if one or more of the transistors are shorted? Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff but I want to learn and can't afford to pay someone else to fix it for me anyways. I really appreciate your help.

Comment

You need to get a meter and measure across the leads and see if you get continuity or a beep in beep mode. These also have very low ohm emitter resistors and should be checked to make sure they are not open. What happened when you replaced the fuse ?
                    KB

Comment

I didn't replace the fuse yet because I assumed it would just blow again. Can I get a meter at a radio shack/home depot or someplace like that?

Comment

You can get one at either or and on the internet too pretty cheap for what your doing.
                        KB

Comment

cool. i'll go pick one up and try that. also, you said in an earlier post: "There are two dropping resistors in that amp going to the +/- 15 volt rails that get pretty hot which is a design flaw." ---- I tried to identify these 2 dropping resistors you refer to, but I couldn't. Any advice? thanks.

Comment

blown fuses

I've got a Marshall MG100HDFX head that blew a fuse too. this was after i had taken it apart to change the fan. if i seperate the heat sink from the little metal plate that screws onto it, the fuse won't blow but when i screw it back in it blows the fuse. could this be a result of too little thermal compound on the heat sink? sorry to just jump in the thread with my question but your problem sounds a lot like mine and i can't find anybody with a similar problem. thanks.

Comment

Not a lack of thermal grease, a lack of insulating mica washer. Was there not a square of something between the power IC and the heatsink? Is there a small plastic washer on the mounting screw? The washer keeps the screw centered in the hole so it won't actually touch the metal.

Comment

Working...
                              X