Peavey Classic Dual Death Cap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic Dual Death Cap Question

I'm working on a Peavey Classic, the original version with 4 10's, transistor preamp, and 2 6L6's. It's got a death cap going from the hot to ground and there's another one hooked up between the hot wire and the neutral wire. The amp has a 3 prong cord, so can't I just remove those 2 caps? Why did they do that?

Keeps powerline noise out of the amp.

The chassis is grounded. If either one of those caps shorts, it will blow the breaker in the house wiring. Though if the house wall outlets are miswired, the chassis could get hot.

Doesn't that amp have a polarity switch, or a polarity power switch?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah, it is a polarity power switch. The owner says he gets shocked whenever he touches a mic onstage playing through that amp.

Comment

Then either the three wire mains cord of the Peavey is not intact, or the PA system is not grounded. Or the house wiring is not right and the two grounds are not at the same potential. I always carry one of those little outlet testers with the three lights. You plug it into an outlet on stage and the lights tell you if the outlet is wired right or the ground is missing. Just because the outlet has three holes doesn't mean the ground hole is wired up back there.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X