Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace Elliot Velocette 110

Greetings all!

I have a problem with my amp. Though this amp has wonderful sound and is often rated as a great great amp, I have a hum that won't go away.
    I live in Japan (though I am Canadian) and its difficult to just fix things myself as I am not fluent in the language here.

My amp hums, and it hums less when I touch my guitar strings, but hums even then. I thought it might be a ground issue (and maybe still is) so I bought a three prong adapter to allow me to plug into my two prong outlets here in my apartment. No luck.

So here I am... looking for advice.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Peavis.

If I recall, Japan uses 100 volts instead of 120 volts as power. SO running 20v low on your power can cause such things. If touching the strings stops the hum, then yes, ther is a ground issue. Plugging into a non-grounded outlet won't help.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The voltages are listed here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_frequencies

You can read there: " Many buildings (in Japan) do not have the ground pin."
      I'd say this is a grounding issue. If you plug in your amp into 3 prong adapter, which in turn is plugged into 2 prong outlets (if I understand you correctly), the amp is still not grounded.

Marek

Comment

Great... thanks for the info... I guess I am in trouble.
        Interesting thing though... I also run a Peavey Classic 50/212, made in the US and it doesn't have any hum or buzz.

I appreciate the information, as I know that in the past, the transformers have been an issue on these great little powerhouse amps, and I wondered if that was the problem...
        Also with the Trace Elliot, if I plug in through my BOSS ME-50 multieffects pedal, I basically eliminate the hum. I guess the BOSS is made to run in Japan.

Thanks again and if anyone has a solution please let me know... I would love to just be able to enjoy the sound of the amp... its a great tone monster.

Peavis

Comment

If you look at the schematics: http://www.schematicheaven.com/newam..._velocette.pdf ,
          you may notice a capacitor between the input jack and the chasis (top-left corner on the 1-st page). Take a look whether it's everything OK with the capacitor in the amp. Another possibility could be old capacitors in the power supply. But in this case some electronic skills are required since voltages inside the amp may be dangerous.

Marek

Comment

What a bummer not to be able to really enjoy the amp while I have it here in Japan. It sounds so nice, aside from the hum.
            Guess I'll just have to use it with the effects pedal. Maybe when I get the desire I will take it in and have it looked at. But I have other equipment and can't be asked at present.

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.
            Peavis

Comment

Working...
            X