• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate finger joints. They're about the only joint where you can't apply
    clamping pressure inline with the glue joint so you have to resort to strap
    clamps and cauls to keep the straps away from the joints. There's just so
    much glueing surface that you have to apply copious amounts of glue so it
    doesn't dry out on you, which then drips everywhere, especially where you
    don't want it. Definitely not for the weak of heart.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	build31_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	811910
    The box wasn't quite square at first, nothing a few whacks with a sledge
    hammer couldn't fix...

Other than that, things are coming along nicely.

Paul P

Comment

looking good.

Comment

I glued up the cabinet which went quite well after practicing on the first box :

Name:	build32_1.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	811915
        While that was drying I rough sanded and rounded over the edges of the
        head :

Name:	build32_2.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	811916
        Here's a close-up of a finger joint. To be honest they don't look this nice
        everywhere but then, as the saying goes, a good craftsman is not one who
        can do a perfect job but one who's good at fixing his mistakes... I repeat
        this to myself everytime I do something stupid.

Name:	build32_3.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	811917
        Paul P

Comment

Originally posted by Paul P View Post
          Here's a close-up of a finger joint. To be honest they don't look this nice
          everywhere but then, as the saying goes, a good craftsman is not one who
          can do a perfect job but one who's good at fixing his mistakes... I repeat
          this to myself everytime I do something stupid.Paul P
          Hi Paul P, I have the same confession about using my new router, (its really easy to make tiny little slips when you get tired) so this time I'm going to cover the whole (5G9) box with tweed fabric again.
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I'm drowning in details... Besides the two boxes there are a bunch of small
            pieces that go inside that have to be made. These are for the head, and
            don't include the decorative faces :

Name:	build33_3.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	811939
            I plan on using a piece of 1/8" plexiglass to cover the front and rear
            panels which will be inset in rebates (rabbets) cut in the 1" square strips :

Name:	build33_2.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	811938
            Starting to look like some sort of an amp :

Name:	build33_1.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	811937
            The tape is holding on a patch to repair a chip that popped out while
            rounding over the edges.

Now to do the same for the speaker cabinet.

Paul P

Comment

What is the circuit you're using? knobs a'plenty

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                What is the circuit you're using? knobs a'plenty
                That's a long story .

Here's the front panel with labels :

Name:	frontpanel1.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	811941
                I originally planned to have reverb and tremolo on channel 2, so the panel
                reflects this, but I've since put the reverb on channel 1. The range rotary
                switches for the tremolo were so I could use quality pots which I could only
                find in 1M and lower values.

As I mentioned somewhere else I plan to print out the panel on paper, glue
                that to a piece of formica/arborite (countertop stuff), then put that behind
                1/8" clear plexiglass (acrylic).

Paul P

Comment

You might spray the paper/formica thing with laquer to seal it.

Of course, there is always this place: http://www.bnplasers.com/

They can do custom work.

Comment

The cabinet with the baffle for my 12" speaker :

Name:	build34_1.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	811943
                    The baffle was cut from a piece of recycled 1/2" poplar
                    plywood that'd been painted beige. It'll be painted flat
                    black.

Still have to make the frame for the grillcloth.

Paul P
                    Last edited by Paul P; 04-27-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I made the front and rear decorative frames out of cherry. The pieces were
                      doweled together then rounded over in a jig I threw together for the occasion.

Name:	build35_1.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	811958 Click image for larger version

Name:	build35_2.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	811959 Click image for larger version

Name:	build35_3.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	811960 Click image for larger version

Name:	build35_4.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	811961 Click image for larger version

Name:	build35_5.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	811962

Paul P

Comment

I got these really big rubber feet from Antique Electronic Supply when I
                        ordered my grill cloth. They're 1-3/4" at the wide end and 1-3/8" at the
                        small end. They're quite soft so they should offer the head at least some
                        isolation from the cabinet's vibrations.

Name:	build36_1.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	811965
                        I routed some depressions in the cabinet top to receive the head's feet :

Name:	build36_2.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	811966
                        Paul P

Comment

The one thing that I've been pretty nervous about up until now has been
                          the grill cloth for my cabinet. My plan was to create a removable frame
                          that would hold the grill cloth sandwiched between two layers, a wider plywood
                          frame underneath with a narrower decorative frame on top.

I bought my grill cloth from Antique Electronic Supply, part number S-G297.
                          This is a pretty thick brown and black basket weave. One side is more black
                          while the other has large bands of brown visible (not shown in AES's picture).
                          I decided to have the brown on the outside. The brown doesn't show
                          well in the pictures below.

I've been afraid I'd have trouble getting enough tension in it to remove
                          wrinkles but it turned out to be pretty easy. I did a partial dry run of
                          assembling the frame without glue to see how it would go. I started
                          by marking the center of top, bottom and sides of the frame. I then
                          screwed one screw at the top center, followed the line in the cloth to
                          the bottom and screwed another screw in the center while pulling on the
                          cloth. I then did the same at the sides.

When I checked to see if the weave lined up with the frame at the ends
                          I found out that I had more of a parallelogram than a rectangle and redid
                          the sides. I put in a few more screws and found out that it was pretty
                          easy to tighten the cloth as I went, going back and forth to opposite sides
                          and ends working towards the corners.

I then traced around the plywood frame with chalk on the grill cloth and
                          disassembled everything. I then reassembled everything after having placed
                          a bead of glue on both halves of the frame.

Name:	build38_1.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	811984Click image for larger version

Name:	build38_2.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	811985
                          The cabinet itself is almost finished. I just have to trim the grill cloth and
                          put a partial panel on the back to hold the jack. The speaker will be installed
                          from the front of the baffle using machine screws with T-nuts on the inside.

Name:	build38_3.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	811986
                          Paul P

Comment

Most of the woodwork is done. The rounding over of the panels has to be
                            worked by hand in the corners to blend the curves where they meet. I use
                            mainly half-round files for this :

Name:	build37_9.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	811991
                            The wood is yellow birch and I finished it with a sort of oil finish like that
                            found on scandinavian teak furniture where there isn't really any finish
                            visible. I use this on just about everything I make because it looks great
                            and is extremely easy to apply.

I first applied a quick coat of shellac (just the white liquid stuff you can
                            get at a hardware store) because of all the end grain due to the finger
                            joints which tends to turn really dark if too much oil is absorbed. I sanded
                            the shellac with 150 grit sand paper changing often because the shellac
                            quickly gums up the paper.

I then mixed up 1/3 mineral spirits (paint thinner), 1/3 pure tung oil (mine's
                            from LeeValley) and 1/3 satin polyurethane. I brush it on liberally and keep
                            all the surfaces wet for maybe 15-20 minutes. I then wipe it all off with
                            flannel cloths. I keep wiping until it feels almost dry. You have to wipe it
                            down often for a day or two because some of the oil seeps back out of
                            the wood and then it's hard to remove if it dries.

It would normally take about a week for the first coat to cure properly but
                            I didn't want to wait that long so I applied a second coat after two days
                            but this time I first added an equal part of polyurethane to what was left
                            of the mixture, greatly increasing its proportion. I applied as before but this
                            time it started to cure fairly quickly so I had to be quick in wiping it off
                            once it started. I wiped it down every hour or so until the finish stabilized.

That's all there is to it. It creates a fairly waterproof finish that is so soft
                            and smooth and has no visible film. It can always be waxed if you want
                            a more glossy surface.

One important thing : oily rags can catch fire by spontaneous combustion
                            if left in a pile. I believe what happens is that heat is generated by the
                            curing process and if this is concentrated in a wad or garbage pail it can
                            get hot enough to ignite, and there goes your house. I lay each rag out
                            on the concrete floor of my garage until it's dry.

My wood has a bit of figure to it, which shows up better under an incandescent
                            light :

Name:	build37_1.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	811987 Click image for larger version

Name:	build37_2.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	811988 Click image for larger version

Name:	build37_4.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	811989
                            Here's a close-up of the cherry frames for the front and back of the head :

Name:	build37_8.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	811990
                            I'm starting to think that I may just finish everything this weekend.

Paul P

Comment

looking excellent, want to see it all together.

Comment

Things are starting to move now that all the little pieces are done.

Here's the front frame with a piece of grillcloth to cover the upper
                                opening :

Name:	build39_2.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	811998 Click image for larger version

Name:	build39_3.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	811999
                                The front control panel made from paper stuck to Formica for the labels
                                and plexiglass to protect it (I may do something a bit more elegant later
                                on) :

Name:	build39_1.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	811997
                                The front with the pieces installed :

Name:	build39_4.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	812000 Click image for larger version

Name:	build39_5.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	812001 Click image for larger version

Name:	build39_6.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	812002
                                I'm a little bit worried about static electricity from the plexiglass.

Paul P

Comment

Working...
                                X