Connecting Magnet Wire and Lead Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Magnet Wire and Lead Wire

This topic has popped up in the past but I was wondering if anyone else uses the same technique that i use to connect the magnet wire and lead wires together. Is this the standard method that everyone uses?

Here is what i do:

With the lead wire stripped, I separate the strands of the lead wire into two sections in order to create a V (split them in half to create a scissors sort of thing). I then insert about 1/8" of the magnet wire between the two sections. I then close the V to clamp it shut and I hold it. I then twirl the lead wire with the fingers of my left hand until I've wrapped about an inch of it around the strands. I then solder the connection.

Does anyone else do this, or is this technique my own quarky method?

Does anyone else have a more effective/efficient way of doing it?
    Last edited by kevinT; 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

I strip about a 1/4" of lead wire and tin it, and then wrap the stripped end of the magnet wire around it, and then solder them together. I probably wrap about an inch of the magnet wire onto the tinned lead wire.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      and then wrap the stripped end of the magnet wire around it,
      That was where i was having a problem. I have meaty hands and i found it difficult to get the magnet wire started around the lead wire strands, therefore, I needed to find a better way for me to get both wires connected.

Comment

The way David describes is the traditional method. It's just like putting the whipping on a fishing rod.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

The way I´ve done so far is to tin the coil and the lead, then just solder them, no wrapping. Seem to work...

Comment

I think you probably get a better solder joint when you tin the lead wire first.
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

to expand a bit on the question, what do you guys do to hold the lead to the pickup? do you superglue or epoxy the lead? do you knot it and then thread it through a hole?

Comment

Originally posted by black_labb View Post
                to expand a bit on the question, what do you guys do to hold the lead to the pickup? do you superglue or epoxy the lead? do you knot it and then thread it through a hole?
                I solder it and then put some tape over the joint, and then tape it against the bobbin and stick it through the hole. Sometimes I don't stick it though the hole.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                  I think you probably get a better solder joint when you tin the lead wire first.
                  That is the way I used to do it and then pig tail it and solder it. I'll try tinning both sections of strands and continue with the same technique and see how that works. For me this techniqe works like a charm and saves me a lot of time. As i mentioned to david, holding both the mag wire and lead wire together to get the mag wire started around the stripped lead wire is a hassle for me. My fingers get in the way of themselves....All thumbs i guess you can say. .....And i haven't had any issues at this point after doing it that way for a while which is a good thing.

I noticed too that I can minimize the size of the solder joint if i don't tin it first. I limit the amount of solder on the joint. And i make sure everything is insulated well ...taped up nice and neat.

The stranded copper in the lead wire is already tinned according to the spec sheet of the wire. I guess they do this during the manufacturing process to protect the copper rather than to assist us....

Comment

Kevin, I think it's only fair you show us a pic of your hands then. I'm getting a vision of Homer Simpson struggling to use a phone keypad etc....
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                      Kevin, I think it's only fair you show us a pic of your hands then. I'm getting a vision of Homer Simpson struggling to use a phone keypad etc....

This is my clumsy hand. Now you can see why i can't pigtail effeciently.

The image below shows the condition called "Winder's Finger". What causes this is the over use of your fingers when winding pickups and the breakdown of the skin from the magnet wire and subsequent infection.

Spence, this is why I had to switch to a machine for winding. My fingers constantly looked like this as well as hurt. My wife never wanted to hold my hand.

[
                      Last edited by kevinT; 04-22-2008, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I think it's only fair you show us a pic of your hands
                        I think it's safe to say that this falls under the category of "be careful what you wish for". Glad it's not near mealtime here.

Comment

Speechless.
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                            Speechless.
                            Spence, these are not my hands...i am pulling your leg, i hope you know that

Comment

Come on Kevin! You ever know me to be speechless?
                              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Working...
                              X