Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turntable service stand - a little off the forum

Hey folks,
    I know this is a bit off the beaten path for this forum, but does anyone have an idea where a guy might look for one of the old automatic record changer service stands that were used to mount an automatic changer to work on it?

I am going to be repairing a bunch of old Dual 1019's for a guy & occassionally do vintage 40's - 60's turntable repairs, too. These things are invaluable for that kind of work.

I'm sure a bunch of them fell the way of the circular file when shops went out of business...no one probably knew what they were.

thanx, glen

I know what you mean, two vertical things that could be spread apart and screwed into position, then one top of each vertical was a clamp with a big knob screw, and you clamped the thing to the edges of the turntable chassis. The clamp assemblies pivoted so you could flip the chassis over. Like one of those roll-around classroom chalk boards that was two sided. Flip it over for the other side. Yes? work was about a foot or two above the bench.

I think I have one in my warehouse, I'll look for you. I'd make a deal on it.

When I saw the thread title I got a picture iof one of those rotating lazy susan deals for the benchtop, so you could spin something around, but I know what you mean now.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Great Enzo,

that is exactly what I am looking for. Let me know when you find it...glen

Comment

Sounds like it might also be useful for holding an amp chassis while working on it ?

Paul P

Comment

They might, but amp chassis are a lot heavier than turntables.

There was a thread on here not all that long ago about an amp chassis holder someone made.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Jeez, when I worked for Dual in the late-80's, the stands were built out of wood! No adjustments. Nada!

BTW- this is the best place for Dual parts. When I left, we sold them the inventory:

http://www.turntableexperts.com/
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I found it. In good shape, a little dirt on it I will clean off. Send me an email if you are still interested, Glen.

Comment

cool Enzo,
                The forum does not allow me to send you a private message & I do not have your private e-mail.

Please send me an e-mail... glen@marsamprepair.com thanx, glen

Comment

Great,
                  I'm sure I'll need some parts for these.

I used to just love the wild variety of automatic turntables that came out in the 40's & 50's. Very ingenutive & interesting.

My son just picked up an old Webcor tabletop 'record player'. I was never too crazy about that particular turntable, but now look at the pot metal cam geats & copper turntable base & can't believe how heavy duty they built these things.

Of course you'd never play 'good' records on these things as those old ceramic carts with NO compliance & 2 tons of tracking pressure would just eat them up. I'm not even sure I'd play my 78's on these record eaters, but they're still an interesting part of turntable history.

This one actutally moves the motor armature up & down in the motor stator to change speeds. I'm not sure how that would affect the torque as the armature has less & less of it in the actual magnetic field, but it must have worked at some time. Crazy stuff.

The best built auto turntable I even saw is a circa 1946 Garrard. 78 only, of couse. some of the old Benjamin Miracords from the 50's/60's are pretty wild, too.

Thanx, glen

Comment

I got your email. I turned off my PM, since I got too many. Too many people were treating my PM like it was the forum. Still, all you need to do is click on my name next to my post and email is one of the options.

I have some NOS Dual parts and some other TT parts. If you need something, see if I have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      They might, but amp chassis are a lot heavier than turntables.

There was a thread on here not all that long ago about an amp chassis holder someone made.
                      Ted Weber sells them.

Comment

Hmmm, those are probably handy for working in amp chassis, but they look a little short for flipping turntables over. But that is good to know. They look a lot like the home made one someone was posting photos of a while back.

I see they come in maple, poplar, and birch. How does the sustain compare?

Glen got a considerably better price on mine.

Comment

yeah,
                          I find that most chassis can be gotten into a favorable postion for working on just by having a few different lengths of wood around to hold them up. I stole a few pieces of those colored wood pieces from my kids toy pile when they were little...the red one is just the right length for supporting most chassis ;-].

I Personally really see no need for a fancy schmancy stand like that. It's also nice to just be able to pull the piece of support wood out of the way when you want to just set the chassis down flat when you're finished underneath. They take up very little room on the shelf.

But hey, to each his own.

Now if you were to put a bridge & pegs on each end & set it on your lap. ;-]...glen

Comment

Shipped.

Comment

Working...
                            X