Which kit should I build? (1st time!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which kit should I build? (1st time!)

I been trying to find a nice little amp for the apartment - something that just oozes tone. Anyway, the hunt has not gone well at all. I hated all the new production Fenders and the vintage market has been a frustrating mess to say the least. I found a Vintage GA-5 at a local dealer, that sounded great when it worked, but he wanted $799! I don't know why but all the silverface champs sounded thin & bright - hated them. Then I played a Blackface Vibro Champ at GC, with the cabinet barely holding together for $1,100!!! To top it off, I found a someone selling a BF Vibro champ on ebay, that needed an "unknown" repair but looked in good condition. I figured that would be a good project for me - I kept a good eye on the auction, but someone "sniped" me by putting in 3 bids during the last 10 seconds, bringing the price to over $600 with shipping!!!

I've just had it. I know enough about electronics to build my own. I am looking for a small amp kit with lots of mojo. It's for the apartment so 5-12 watts max. I kind of like the blackface tone of the vibro-champ & princeton reverb, just not too bright like the re-issue amps. Trem and reverb would be a plus. The Allen Sweet-spot comes to mind, but at 18 watts, It's not "different" enough from the DRRI I just replaced all the caps on and it's too expensive. I need smaller and more low volume mojo. I'd like to stay in the $500-$600 range.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Sorry if this post came off as angry - I think I'm a frustrated small amp seeker! The prices are going off the charts for the small amps now. The Silverfaces are the only ones left under $500 - I heard they were similar to the blackface champs, but I played 2 of them and both were really shrill. I'm just looking for a small kit someone here can "vouch" for as worth the time and effort for a 1st time builder!

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

If you feel up to it I think it would be a great idea to build your own
      Vibrochamp or Princeton Reverb. Why buy a beat up 30-40 year old
      amp that was built with cheap parts to begin with when you can
      build the same from quality parts for about the same price (maybe a
      bit more if it's your first time 'round). And then you'll know how it
      works and be able to mod it to your personal preference.

I can't help you with kit information but I'm sure someone around here
      can. Or you could just copy a Fender and source your own parts.

Paul P

Comment

how to start your works

when you want to diy tube guitar amp, there are severl steps you need
        1. do you have schematic or layout of circule?
        2. Could you found who make opt for you? cheaper and good quality Opt is very important key when you want one good amps in lower price
        3.other componentets include chassis?
        http://www.kldguitar.com

Comment

This forum has a section on kit amps and you might want to check that out to find out how the qualitys of the kits compare. Kits are a really good way to begin down that journey to tone. Sourcing the parts yourself is a method but buying a kit allows you to concentrate more on assembling it (which can save alot of time). If you decide it is the route you want to take choose a model that is within your skill level. Champs are simple but if you build it I would recomend hooking it up with a more able speaker than an 8".

I really think the thin and bright problem was probably mostly due to the speaker. I thought that the blackface and silverface champs had only a subtle difference in the schematic in the power supply but Fender did switch between speaker manufactures alot and I think they used cheaper speakers then in the BF version. I have a silverface vibrochamp and replaced the ceramic Jensen with a Weber Alnico and it made a world of difference (but it still is an 8" and a decent 12" would sound fuller).

Good luck and I hope you can find the tone you are searching for.

You mentioned that you don't like the new fenders but have you tried any of the other brands that are selling low wattage tube amps. If you have a cabinet with speakers allready you could check out an orange tiny terror (the street price is within your confines and is switchable from 7 to 15 watts) or there are more economical priced amps from blackheart amps or the epiphone valve junior (which with some mods is supposed to sound pretty good).

Comment

Working...
          X