strat assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strat assembly

I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about how Leo's guy actually assembled their strat bobbins. Pushed the magnets in from the bottom, did they have machined jigs to line it all up etc.
    Anyone every machine a strat assembly unit that makes this easy and perfect? Thinking about doing something better than my current method and looking for idea starters.....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

You could just use the drill guide to align the mags with the holes you just drilled and press them all in at once to the bottom piece. If you used a clamshell drill guide you could press on the other peice of the flatwork and split the guide open to get it off the magnets.

Comment

I have machined jigs myself. I literally just wack the magnets into the bottom (from the top) through a "drill guide" type of arrangement and then flip the whole assembly out, like muffins out of a pan. For putting the top on, I have two fixtures. One keeps them aligned fore and aft, it's just a slot cut in the fixture. The other lefty / righty, 6 slots like a rake. Both are exactly 7/32" thick. Once the top is on, they slide out. Of course, I also have a milling machine They turn out dead nuts perfect.
      www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Yeah I got a mill recently and thats why I'm thinking of messing with it. I use plexiglass guides now and could probably do somethng better. Can you take pix of you mill made jigs? I still wonder how Leo's factory guys did it, never ran across any info of pictures of that, only thing I ever saw related was girls dipping bobbins in a bucket full of lacquer and taking deep breaths....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I throw up some pics as soon as I find my digital
          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Girls taking deep breaths....oh yeah!

Comment

These are some of the ones I made for J pickups. They actually take a ridiculous amount of time to machine.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mine (in low rez) look like this . Yes, there are 7 slots in the one jig. What can I say, I'm obsessive compulsive Good thing I was limited to the length! Oh yeah, I think Betty is taking a deep breath!! Yowza! Yowza! Ah, the good old days for Possum I think
                Attached Files
                www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                X