First Kit Build---DONE DEAL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Kit Build---DONE DEAL!

I recently finished my first build,a kit from Allen Amplification.
    I looked at different kits and my choices came to Mission's 5E3 kit,or the Accomplice.I chose the latter simply because I like the Blackface tone.And the Accomplice really delivers that!
    To anyone who is contemplating a build,but,like I was,maybe is a little worried about their abilities to finish a project like this,I can honestly say that if you can read and follow directions,you can do this.And David Allen is really very helpful and patient and wants you to have his amp(or,your amp) come out right.
    The chassis,board and most of the components came to me in the first shipment while the cabinet was being built.The packing was first rate,and the inventory of components was almost complete.There were a couple of items missing,but David took care of that very quickly.The chassis is top notch,as are the transformers and the instructions.The only thing I can find to complain about is the PVC jacketing on the wiring.I melts pretty easily.But the wire is all pre-tinned.
    One mistake I made was to try and use a cheap soldering iron.Life got much easier after I bought a Weller temperature controlled station.And a Sold-A-Pult.As long as I followed the directions,which are detailed to the point of hand-holding,I made no mistakes.When I finished and plugged it in,I was truly expecting some fireworks when I flipped the standby on.That was not the case.In fact ,it was almost within the acceptable bias range.I adjusted that and plugged in my Strat.
    All I can say about the sound is that it is much more than I was expecting.This is truly a great amp,and I built it.A great Deluxe Reverb tone,but that is just the beginning.Mine is a 2008 model and has a master volume that really sounds good,a clean and clear volume boost via a push/pull volume pot,a mids boosting push/pull mids pot,a bright switch and a tone control for the reverb.My new amp sounds better than any amp I have ever used.Capable of a very wide range of sounds.
    I opted for a lacquered tweed cabinet with an oxblood grill that looks so good my wife no longer complains if I leave it in the living room.
    I am sure that there are other fine amp kits available,but I can only report on this one,and it is truly worth more money I spent.
Working...
X