Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratocaster sustain question

Hi guys,

Have a question about Strat sustain.... I have a totally stock '06 Strat, Ash, Rosewood board. Am. Std. trem / bridge, 3 springs. 10-46 strings. The sustain is ok up to about the 12 fret, but at 14 and above, it seems to drop off quickly. The stock '57/62 pickups are lowered below the Fender spec, fairly low, and there is no evidence of obvious magnetic effects on the strings (ie no G-string warble on the 14 th fret).

Can anyone tell me why this Strat might be doing this?

As a comparison, I also have a totally stock 2004 Ash Strat, maple neck, Am. Std. bridge, '54 pickups (lowered as well), and this one has excellent sustain all the way up to the highest frets.

??????

Best,
    Chevy

Your neck may be in need of adjustment. If your neck is bowed it will show in this manner. Play it unplugged and see if you're getting buzz or interference. Fret a note and run a strip of paper (~3 or 4 thousandths thick) between the next fret. Do this in a few different positions and compare. Your neck may be lacking fallaway.

Comment

Very often with bolt on necks, the fingerboard develops a hump in that region (14th fret and higher).

The usual remedy is to level the frets, making a gradual drop off to the end of the fingerboard, or in worst situations, remove the frets, level the end of the fingerboard, and do a partial refret.

Adjusting the truss rod affects the lower end of the neck, but the relief usually stops somewhere around the 10th fret. But adjusting the neck straighter, and raising the action can also help, along with changing the neck angle slightly.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X