Grill cloth frustrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill cloth frustrations

OK, so either I try to get it tight onto the baffle board and inevitably end up with the pattern crooked or I let it be a little loose and the pattern is straight but the thing just looks kind of loose and dumpy.

I've tried shrinking it with a heat gun and that does help some but not enough.

Any pointers for this?

66merc

Originally posted by 66merc View Post
    OK, so either I try to get it tight onto the baffle board and inevitably end up with the pattern crooked or I let it be a little loose and the pattern is straight but the thing just looks kind of loose and dumpy.

I've tried shrinking it with a heat gun and that does help some but not enough.

Any pointers for this?

66merc
    What kind of grille cloth is it? Heating is very rarely needed if it is done right from the start.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Try using a quick-drying glue, and staple the rear of the baffle on one side (at the end of the 'grain' pattern) of the grille cloth only, making sure you have got the pattern in the grille lined up straight, then when it is nice and dry, do the same on the opposite side, having it tight enough not to sag, but not too tight that it stretches. Staple the 'corners' first and then the middle bits, so you can line it up more easily with one hand. Then do the top and the bottom the same (without stretching it). I use plenty of staples and Weldbond glue (Canook stuff)
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Wow...

I certainly don't think I am good at it, but I recently reclothed an old Fender 3x12 cab. Plenty of real estate out there on that one to get the lines crooked, but it turned out pretty nice.

In another life I have about 30 years in coin operated amusements, including pool tables, and i have recoverd the slates in enough of those things. I approached the grille cloth as if it were felt for a billiard slate. That said, in that industry there are a lot of ways guys do that job. I learned one way.

I stapled the top at the center, followed the grain to the other end and stretched the cloth tight, and stapled the center there. I then stretched the cloth to the sides and tacked the centers there. Pick an edge, I start at the top. I pulled the cloth to each corner so the lines followed the edge and tacked the corners. Then the opposite corners. Now there are eight loose segments around the edge. I took each one, started at its center, pulled the cloth so the line across the top was even and tacked it, then worked from there to either end of that segment, tacking every inch or so with staples. At each one I made sure the cloth was taut and the lines even. Do that eight times and you are all the way around.

Worked for me, but maybe I was lucky. I don't look, forward to someone asking me to do another. I generally avoid cosmetics work. I am sure open to other methods that work.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A lot of it depends on the type of grill cloth, since some stretches easily and others are stiff .. for example: silverface vs. tweed grill cloth.

Begin by folding along one line. Then staple that edge down. This sets it up to be straight with that line.

Also, staple into the edge of the baffle board on three sides and to the back of the top side.

It's a slow, steady process. Put in a few staples at a time, move your thumb and forefinger, look at the front and stretch it into place, then staple a few more. Does that make sense (it's hard to describe in words)?

Here's a photo from this web page
          http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/...fleBoards.html
          See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
          http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I have been using three types of grill cloth. All are "woven". Oxblood, silver/black and a tan sort of color. I really can't tell you what "style" they are.

PRNDL, one thing I notice is that I need to wrap the grill cloth on all sides of the baffle since they are mounted from front in my amps. It seems to make it harder. I see in your picture that two of your sides don't have the cloth wrapped around them. You must be mounting the baffle from behind.

Oh well, I'm sure i'll get better as I do more.

66merc

Comment

You must be mounting the baffle from behind.
              Yes.

BTW - That's a replacement baffle board for a Fender amp made by Larry Rodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by PRNDL View Post
                A lot of it depends on the type of grill cloth, since some stretches easily and others are stiff .. for example: silverface vs. tweed grill cloth.

Begin by folding along one line. Then staple that edge down. This sets it up to be straight with that line.

Also, staple into the edge of the baffle board on three sides and to the back of the top side.

It's a slow, steady process. Put in a few staples at a time, move your thumb and forefinger, look at the front and stretch it into place, then staple a few more. Does that make sense (it's hard to describe in words)?

Here's a photo from this web page
                Do you know what grill cloth they use for the Blackface Bassman Amp & Cabs. Mine is the real deal - about 40 years old and it looks like it is aged to a brownish yellowy color. I think they make an aged grill cloth to fit that fits this description but I want to be sure it's the right one before I order. Thanks for the help in advance

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbubba View Post
                  Do you know what grill cloth they use for the Blackface Bassman Amp & Cabs. Mine is the real deal - about 40 years old and it looks like it is aged to a brownish yellowy color. I think they make an aged grill cloth to fit that fits this description but I want to be sure it's the right one before I order.
                  The two sources I know of are Mojo and Larry Rodgers.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com

Mojo sells the grillcloth, but it's not aged.

Larry sells replacement baffle boards with aged grill cloth that looks fantastic. You may want to consider this since 40 years is a long time for plywood.

Comment

I just finished installing grill cloth into two amps. One was a black weave, and the other was brown with a yellow stripe (common in Fender tweeds).

The one with the stripe was much easier to work with. It folded on both edges and was easy to pull tight without much effort.

The black swirl was much harder. It went on easy enough, but didn't have the clear lines to line up. It was a little off, but not really noticeable.

This is the 1 watt Tweed Mini Champ

This is the 2 watt Dyno Tweed

Comment

Stretching Grill cloth-Check this out!!

Grill cloth installation - speaker building message board

Comment

Grill Cloth Install VOX AD50VT

I would have not had good results if I did not find this following website and follow the how to there Grill cloth installation - speaker building message board

Here is my project so far. I bought a VOX AD50VT but really did not like the metal grill (good for gigging as the metal protects well).

So I decided to do Retro Redo to a 1960's Vintage VOX. Back in the Day our Bass Player had a Super Beatle stack and I always loved that Amp, I didn't have the cash for one myself, anyway I bought a sheet of 1/4" thick 24" by 48" Lulan plywood ($5.00) at Home Depot and after cutting a square for the baffle board and cutting a hole for speaker, I sprayed it brown.
                        Then I stretched the grill cloth I bought from North Coast Music "brown diamond VOX pattern"
                        and stapled like the how to website
                        I put Velcro squares on the new baffle and the amp

I put it together and this is the end product
                        This is the look I am going for
                        I have the Vintage VOX Gold Vinyl Piping ordered and a Super Beatle LOGO nameplate coming from North Coast to finish off this project.

So follow the directions from the website posted earlier and your new grill should come out great. I will post the finished project next week. Thanks to the previous poster that directed me to the website "Grill cloth installation - speaker building message board"
                        Last edited by miniestate; 01-19-2010, 04:13 AM.

Comment

I can't find edit so here a picture of the project now.

I got the Gold divider, Name Plate and the White vinyl pipping. I have not done the pipping yet as it is going to be a bit dodgy putting it on.

I will post the project when I get the White pipping added and it will be done. I am very happy with it so far and it really looks far better than the Gold metal grill.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X