Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you wind this?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...14002930k_for/

I have one here _ I just want to fix it...

I do not know what way to wind the upper and lower coil???

I tried a few things and it Buzzzzzzed -
    I'm sorta stuck -- brain fart?
    Let's all Close shop and Go Fishing!, the heck with everything today!

It doesn't matter which direction you wind it. If you get hum, reverse the polarity of that bottom coil.

I wound my stacked Tele pickup with the upper and lower coils in the same direction.

You wire them out of phase, so connect both finishes together, and use the starts as hot/ground, or connect both starts together, and use the finishes... assuming you wound them both the same direction.

If you did them opposite, then wire start to finish.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Look at it this way. You have a common magnet for each pole. Therefore, one coil is effectively south up while the other is North up in terms of it's function as a humbucker. The bottom coil has little effect on output as the magnet's sphere of influence is too far away from the strings. However, it's coil is still picking up any hum. It's more like a dummy coil. In any case, you'll need to wind both coils in the same direction and join them end to end as you would a side-by-side coil configuration.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Hello Pupoholic,
        can you tell me wich wire Seymour uses and the magnet lenght?
        thanks
        db

Comment

I just wondered if you guys know if that design is patented? --

sorry I'm not willing to publicly post Seymour Duncan's BG 1400 Custom Shop pups wire specs or magnet lengths... Because were close friends, and I would not feel right - hope you understand?

Comment

Sorry Pupo,

I did not know that you and SD are that close friends -
            maybe you should give him a call and he can answer all your pickup questions ?

All my best wishes , lots of good feelings and vibrations,

cheers

David

Comment

sorry I'm not willing to publicly post Seymour Duncan's BG 1400 Custom Shop pups wire specs or magnet lengths... Because were close friends, and I would not feel right - hope you understand? [/QUOTE]

That's hilarious. Right on Don!

Anyway, the pickup will be wound with 44AWG. I can't tell you the length of the magnets off hand but take it as read, when they state something like this :

Note: because this is a Stack, make sure your guitar's pickup cavity has at least .83" clearance.

It must be a lengthy old pickup.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Hello Spence ,
                I played your Esquire pickup this afternoon and I can tell you I love it !

I have some 0,045mm and 0,043mm wire left from my last batch of noiseless stack pickups.
                I hope there is no patend on this pickup because it will be the next big thing on my web site !

cheers
                db

Comment

Thanks David. You'll be pleased to know that I have no patent on this pickup but I have patented the word 'string' and the word 'fibre'. I'm currently suing Kellogs for bandying the word 'fibre' around as if they own it!
                  sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by pupoholic View Post
                    I just wondered if you guys know if that design is patented?
                    Yep, number 4524667, June 25th, 1985.

I think it's expired, no?

He does say in the patent that a coil resistance of 20K is preferred.

The newer stacks from Duncan are covered in Kevin Beller's patents, they look a lot like the Kinman/DiMarzio designs.

Last edited by David Schwab; 05-02-2008, 06:52 PM.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                      Thanks David. You'll be pleased to know that I have no patent on this pickup but I have patented the word 'string' and the word 'fibre'. I'm currently suing Kellogs for bandying the word 'fibre' around as if they own it!
                      How about "fiber"

Comment

Oh bugger !
                        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

ahh haa..

funny place.. ;-)

Thanks, David,
                          seems the newer stack designs add metal between the coils and possibly not use magnets in the lower one..

Thanks, Spence,
                          for the wire 44 answer. ( my pup was already empty - so U just saved me from using 43 on it) I actually don't have any 44 here myself - guess its time to buy a roll.. been thinking about that Dearmond Red Chief 7k then tapped full its 17k
                          the one they used as NOS on The D'Angelico's --
                          also: 44' was used in some of these 10k Hershy/foil insert models..

also may try 44 on a Fender neck - just to see if it jazzes it up?

looks like its time to R&D..

cheers..

FWIW Seymour sends me NAMM passes - so I got to be good... but I don't think he'd tell me the same inside skinny on pups - like what you guys do.. I appricate the help.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pupoholic View Post
                            seems the newer stack designs add metal between the coils and possibly not use magnets in the lower one..
                            Yes, no magnets in the bottom coil, which also has fewer turns than the top coil, but the same general outside diameter. The bottom coil also has higher inductance than the top, so it basically picks up a lot of noise, and none of the strings, due to the shield between the coils.

The Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups work the same way.

The old stack has a lot of phase cancelation, which is why it needs to be wound so hot, because it's very bright and lacks low end.

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
                              Hello Pupoholic,
                              can you tell me wich wire Seymour uses and the magnet lenght?
                              thanks
                              db
                              Oh, the magnet length is in the patent I listed. (#4524667)

I'm not home, or I'd post what it says in there.

I had a set of the Strat pickups years ago, and they sounded quite good.

Comment

Working...
                              X