Need to control L.E.D. with Momentary Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to control L.E.D. with Momentary Switch

Hi everyone, I have what I hope is a simple question.
    I have a switch that is physicaly or mechanicly momentary but in my rack effect I am able to make it function as a latching switch and it works great this way.
    My issue is I need to know when it is on or off so I want to have an L.E.D. come on when I press the button then off when I press again.

Thanks

P.S. I also notice I when I press the momentary switch I get a 4.7 dc volt
    spike? or pulse? on the tip and sleeve of my cord. Can I use this voltage to control an led located in the footswitch?

Is the voltage just a spike, or a constant voltage? If it's a spike, it could operate a FET switch, like in an effects pedal, but you would have to have a power source for it in the pedal, which may be somewhat inconvenient.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
      Is the voltage just a spike, or a constant voltage? If it's a spike, it could operate a FET switch, like in an effects pedal, but you would have to have a power source for it in the pedal, which may be somewhat inconvenient.
      I'm sure I can fit a 9 volt battery in there so it's no biggy.
      The voltage is just a spike.

Comment

Originally posted by rocketmorton View Post
        I'm sure I can fit a 9 volt battery in there so it's no biggy.
        The voltage is just a spike.
        Why not just pop in a DPDT latching switch then? With the electronic mess you'd have to put in there, you might as well just make it a latching switch. They're not that expensive

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
          Why not just pop in a DPDT latching switch then? With the electronic mess you'd have to put in there, you might as well just make it a latching switch. They're not that expensive
          Well It's a non latching FS-5 Boss switch. I'm not sure if they make
          tiny micro switches that latch that would fit in there.
          Plus I wanted to learn how to do it electronicly.

Comment

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_5/index.html

That may get you started then.

Comment

The problem is, the effect unit apparently doesn't want a switch that latches on. it has its own flip flop circuit inside that toggles with each press of the switch. He needs to stay with momentary.

It would be simple enough to wire up a flip flop in the pedal to drive an LED, and use the same momentary switch closure. However, every time you power up, you'd have to check to get in sync. Every time you press the switch, the LED toggles off or on. Same with the pedal. Just that on one day, the pedal and FX might agree, and another day they might come out opposite. Then you'd have to unplug it, step on it and replug it to get them on track.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X