Few questions about plain enamel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GlennW View Post
    When I was back in pickup winding school...
    Ah, very good! I should have thought of that part.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The talking intro to that song is about all I remember from that album.

Comment

Originally posted by GlennW View Post
        The talking intro to that song is about all I remember from that album.
        I don't remember much either... I'm not a huge Doors fan, though I like Soft Parade and a few other things. My wife has some of their CD's...
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by fjgaston View Post
          And what about alternatives to plain enamel ... Like the Tim Shaw PAFs, polyurethane enamelled gibson made in the 80 I have these on my Les Paul Custom 85, I compared them with real PAFs yesterday, ok mine sucks !!!

But is really Plain enamel the only solution ?
          I am in France, can I find some plain enamel in Europe ???
          Do you kids stop shouting ... EVEN IF I UNDERSTAND THAT SOMETIME I FEEL THE SAME F*CKING NEEEEED TO SHOUT !!!
          Oh I did it !! ;-)
          Apparently, Blue Aluminum coil wire is on the rise for vintage restoration....??? Tripped me out when I seen it?

Comment

" Yes Jim Morrison alive and well and apparently blind. what they have is the bottom of the barrel PE, you tell them you want 42 gauge and it will show up measuring as fat as .0032" which is insane. If you ask for certain diameters they will say sure budddy ol' pal send us your money first, then when it shows up its entirely different. they are either blind or they have a micrometer that only reads to two places and is rusty and doesn't work right either. but they do the same thing with their poly wire, you order 43 gauge and get 42 heavy build. this is why its essential to own a good micrometer :-) "

First spool of PE I got was like this , same size as HF ,
            second spool I just opened is great , really nice stuff ,I'm worried about getting more as I don't want the fat stuff again..so I guess I'll just do without once I run out .

Mick

Comment

I ordered Plain Enamel at mojo supply
              I just received it. On the spool I can Read Elektrisola Plain Grade 1.
              There is some tangled wire at the beginning of the spool. And I can see few scratches all over the spool.
              At the beginning of the spool, instead of having 1 wire, I have 4 or 5 wires ... Is it OK?????? It seems kind of weird to me!!!!
              Please tell me, what can I do???
              Last edited by fjgaston; 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM.
              Let there be rock http://fjgaston.free.fr
              Guitars : 1965 Gibson melody maker, 1969 gibson SG, 1985 Gibson Les Paul, 1957 FEnder Duo Sonic, 1963 Fender Musimaster, Fender strange stratocaster, Gretsch mod solidbody, "la blue" the strangest guitar ever made; Effect : Disto Blaster; Amp : 1973 Hiwatted Sound City 50 +, 1970 Sound city 120, 1958 Fender Champ, 1969 Carlsbro, 1970 Carlsbro, 1966 EKO, Home made amp.

Comment

Bonjour

Scratches and multiple wire ends doesn't look good IMO: you should report this to Mojo.

As for what you can read on the spool:
                I've had contact with Electiksola directly here in France lately: they say they don't produce Formvar nor Plain Enamel (well at least for the office in France).
                "Plain" = ??? (Should be plain enamel, but according to what I just mention above, maybe NOS, or maybe they still have some production somewhere, which I doubt according to what I've read so far on the subject)
                "Grade 1" = nearly equivalent to Single Built, but in IEC (European) standard as opposed to NEMA (US) standard, if you refer to the technical info there:
                http://www.elektrisola.com/en/enamel...a-by-size.html

Hope this helps,
                Yves.
                www.bourvonaudiodesign.fr

Comment

Euro wire gauges?

Originally posted by Yves View Post
                  "Grade 1" = nearly equivalent to Single Built, but in IEC (European) standard as opposed to NEMA (US) standard, if you refer to the technical info there:
                  http://www.elektrisola.com/en/enamel...a-by-size.html

Hope this helps,
                  Yves.
                  Merci, c'est tres gentil de ton part.

The pickupedia.info Standards section needs a section on European IEC standards.
                  Any takers?

http://www.pickupedia.info/Standards
                  -drh
                  "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

but which grade is used in PAF?
                    heavy ???

(it's funny there are many french people on this forum)
                    Guitars : 1965 Gibson melody maker, 1969 gibson SG, 1985 Gibson Les Paul, 1957 FEnder Duo Sonic, 1963 Fender Musimaster, Fender strange stratocaster, Gretsch mod solidbody, "la blue" the strangest guitar ever made; Effect : Disto Blaster; Amp : 1973 Hiwatted Sound City 50 +, 1970 Sound city 120, 1958 Fender Champ, 1969 Carlsbro, 1970 Carlsbro, 1966 EKO, Home made amp.

Comment

Originally posted by fjgaston View Post
                      but which grade is used in PAF?
                      heavy ???

(it's funny there are many french people on this forum)
                      No... Single oleoresinous enamel (PE) but as far as I know Elektrisola doesn't make PE wire. Be careful because the last time I spoke to S. Schor at Elektrisola he thought that PE was SPN wire.

Comment

Originally posted by EtLa View Post
                        No... Single oleoresinous enamel (PE) but as far as I know Elektrisola doesn't make PE wire. Be careful because the last time I spoke to S. Schor at Elektrisola he thought that PE was SPN wire.
                        I don't know whether Elektrisola sells it currently but they have in the past....i have some which i am winding my PAF-style pickups with. I believe it was manufactured a few years back....but it is nice wire IMO.
                        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Planet Engineers

Aparently P. E stands for Planet engineers- Approaching them and getting a response something like...." Thats rediculous!! The new coatings are way better.....There could be no Sound difference!! Who told you that?? Puposterous!! Can you send me a bottle of Grey Pupon" Though ..
                          Plain Enamel is the oldest of insulations....That formula has been in existence forever. Just don't understand the big deal, but the wire companys do and charge us diligently : ) Currently Rea makes about 50- 70,000 lbs anually.... Thats an awful lot of maney to say bye bye to. Radio guys like that stuff too, but in larger sizes....All over ebay??

Comment

On the spool it's written "Plain" and the wire is black.
                            I bought it from Mojo Supply as plain Enamel.

Comment

When you buy PE from MWS, why is there a REA sticker on the bottom of the spool? Does Rea manufacutre it and MWS distribute it?

Comment

Working...
                              X