Mullards El34's Vs. Svetlana 34's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mullards El34's Vs. Svetlana 34's

In your own real world experience, do you here Mullards as being Harsher or brighter sounding then Svetlana's. I've got Mullards in a 59slp Splawn Reissue, I have a VHT PittBull Cassic with the Svetlana's.

new-issue Mullards, right?

Comment

Yes the new ones, this SLP Splawn Reissue is driving me nuts, it has the Mullards, and is bright as hell. It had JJ's in the pre and I put Chinese in there now. It has this sound that's harsh, got them biased at 60%. It was real cold when I got it about 50%. I've read too that it could be the GT12-75's in the Marshall cab don't do it any justice. Just wondered if the tubes might make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 89custom View Post
        Yes the new ones, this SLP Splawn Reissue is driving me nuts, it has the Mullards, and is bright as hell. It had JJ's in the pre and I put Chinese in there now. It has this sound that's harsh, got them biased at 60%. It was real cold when I got it about 50%. I've read too that it could be the GT12-75's in the Marshall cab don't do it any justice. Just wondered if the tubes might make a difference.
        50% is NOT "real cold"...
        I just don't understand why this myth is continually promoted all over the Net.
        9 times out of 10 a set of power tubes idling at 50% or even less, that sounds sterile or "bright as hell" as you put it, has nothing what so ever to do with the idle current of the power tubes.
        I would suggest that the the speakers and or the manufacturer's tuning of this amp is the culprit, ...
        or it is defective in some manner unrelated to the power tubes.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Easy to rule out the speakers...

But unless you're using the Marshall cab with both amps, I think it's the speakers. I find GT-12-75s whiney, but my only experience is in teeny tiny 112 combos. They might be OK in a closed back 4x12. Try the Pittbull on the Marshall cab.

Anyway, put the Mullards in the PittBull. If the harsh doesn't move with the Mullards, it's not the tubes. But I'm sure you've thought of this stuff by now, or there's some reason why you couldn't do it. So here's a harder one:

You're snowmobiling in the Arctic, two days from civilization, or even a radio. You've got a condition, and you have to take two of pill A and two of pill B every morning. No more, no less, or you'll die. Since you can't tell the pills apart, you pack them in one of those pill containers with a compartment for each day. You've got two days supply left, but you drop them on the ice, the containers open, and the pills get mixed up. What do you do?

Think about it then select this text (starting to the right of the colon) for the answer: Cut the pills in half, and take a half of each one each day.

Comment

And: We need to ask are the "Svetlanas" the "Winged C" or the relabeled Sovteks that EH is marketing - hardly "real" Svetlanas which are great sounding, long lasting well made tube. Oh, and the Mullards are at best "reproductions" -reissuance is impossible unless from the original company.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by BackwardsBoB View Post
              I find GT-12-75s whiney, but my only experience is in teeny tiny 112 combos. They might be OK in a closed back 4x12.
              one of the first things i did to my 1960a/b cabs 15 years ago was swap those out for some 150w cast frame eminence monsters.

i sold the g12t75s and never looked back.

Comment

Working...
              X