replacing power cord strain relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing power cord strain relief

Im trying to replace the power cord on an amp of mine, but I cannot solve this strain relief. Never done this before, and Im tuggin and pullin but no luck. any help?

If it's the common Richco brown strain relief type, I usually use a pair of regular pliers and grab the devil outside the chassis, squeeze it enough to work it free. It buggers it up slightly but does not destroy it, in case you want to use it over again.

Gary

Comment

You can do it with a set of pliers but the correct tool to use is a Heyco strain relief tool. They show up on ebay once in a while used and sell for about $30.00. Or you can get a new one here:

http://www.etool.ca/RENDER/1/26/220/11113.html

Comment

They have a lip I find squeezing with right angle pliers on the inside works failing that cut the cable close as possible on the inside strip the sheath on the outside and pull individual wires through that should loosen it if that fails
        scream and drill the bugger out..if its this sorta clamp:-
        Attached Files

Comment

The whole point of a strain relief is that when you tug on the wires, they don't pull out.

Spread a pair of combination pliers and grip the thing, squeezing the small part down on teh wire harder. As you do so, pull the whole thing out. I often will rock it to one side to start. Get one side free and the other comes out easier.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For some reason I've always had good luck using the smallest (5~6") kind of "channel lock" type of pliers on those strain reliefs. Adjusted to the largest setting that will allow the jaws to dig in and hook into the part nearest to the outside of the chassis, I grab the strain relief perpendicular to the chassis and squeeze hard without worrying about it popping off. Installation or removal is surprisingly painless.

They are kinda cheap— you could even grind chisel-tipped "beaked" jaws into them or a slightly larger (8~9") pair.

Comment

Needle nose work pretty well, but I have one of them fancy strain relief tools I got from a place I used to work. It was missing the screw/nut that holds it together so someone threw it away.

Comment

The proper strain relief tool is best, but you can also remove and replace them with ChannelLocks or Vise Grips. The key is to compress the center section that cinches the cable ONLY and then pull or push, depending on what you are doing. So try and match the jaws or your pliers to this area. If you compress the ENTIRE fitting, it will belly-out and be HARDER to remove.
                John R. Frondelli
                dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

these ($7) work pretty good!
                  Electrical Strain Relief Bushing Assembly Tool Pliers | eBay

Comment

Working...
                  X