No announcement yet.

Getting a 16 Ohm Speaker down to 8ohm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet you could make something out of a toroidal transformer meant for powering solid-state gear, with a 120V primary and a 35V secondary (two 0-17v secondaries in series would do) You can wire this as an autotransformer to convert between 16 and 8 ohms. (you hook the 120V winding across the 16 ohm side, and use the voltage induced in the 35V winding to "buck" the 16 ohms down to 8.)

I guess if you have a trannie that has a 120V winding and two 35V windings, you can make a do-hickie that converts roughly between 16, 8, and 4 ohms. None of the ratios is really that critical.

I spent quite a while thinking about how to do this with off-the-shelf transformers, but I got stuck because I only considered trannies with 240V primaries. Then I would need 2x70V secondaries, which you only seem to get in crazy sizes like 1kVA+. But thanks to you guys I remembered I can get 120V units here too :-) I ought to try it sometime, since my favourite amp only has a 16 ohm output.
    Last edited by Steve Conner; 09-22-2006, 12:11 PM.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks for the input on this thread. I have to say that the majority of it was over my head, but it is appreciated. I have taken the easy route and have purchased the proper speaker for the amp.

I gotta keep life simple where I can!

Thanks again
      Greg

Comment

On my first tube amp build, the output tranny impeadance taps were
        wired to a 4,8. 16 ohm tap selector plate. Moving the tap lead didn't
        seem that significant soundwise on a 10watt amp.

Comment

Working...
        X