Spray painted Gril Cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray painted Gril Cloth

I am restoring a 65' Twin and was trying to preserve the original grill cloth that had been spray painted. Any one had any luck removing it without ruining it? I put a little bit of goof off on a small area with no luck. I have some New aged cloth that I could put on as a last resort.
    Helping musicians optimize their sound.

You can try soaking it in brake fluid for a couple of days and then hitting it with a pressure washer. I've done that with painted tolex before. Too much pressure though, and you will cut the material up. Don't ask how I know this...
    I would not try this while it is attached to the baffle board. There will be a lot of staples to remove.

RE
    Last edited by Rick Erickson; 05-08-2008, 07:59 PM. Reason: further instruction

Comment

Results

Thank you for the tip. How were the results of the procedure? Were you able to get all of it off with no scrubbing? Like you had mentioned about the pressure washer fraying the material, I want to minimize any scrubbing which may fray the material. I removed the GC from the baffle ( 200 staples later, Fender didn't cut any corners on staples!!) It's all good.
      Helping musicians optimize their sound.

Comment

Thew idea is to hit it with just enough pressure to knock the paint off. I have not tried this with grill cloth, but in theory it should work with minimal damage to the cloth. You might try a small portion of the cloth with the brake fluid before soaking the whole thing. Not sure how the material will react. A less reactive alternative might be waterless hand cleaner, such as Fast Orange, Goop or Go-Jo.

RE

Comment

Working...
        X