Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner.... Very New at this but i have an idea

Hi Anyone,

I bought a really crappy amp which i wanted to basically pull apart and rebuild with some nice components to put inside.

The link to my crappy amp:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Twin-Speaker-...QQcmdZViewItem

I wanted to start by putting basic celestion speakers from a JCM marshall. I dont know if what im saying is absolutely ridiculous or normal..

If anyone would like to comment I would appreciate a reply..

Lee

you wont get much out of that i'd say. thespeakers in there are 8" where marshall has 12" speakers in their cabs, so they wont fit.

i'd look for something else to mod personally, but if you already bought it...

might be able to turn that into a head and make a separate speaker cab with celestion's

Comment

Others may differ, but IMO the only thing solid state amps are good for are keyboards or gutting so you can use the chassis and cab for building a tube amp. Ideally, for the latter purpose you'd pay a lot less for a non-functioning amp, but what's done is done.

Try a 5E3 in that chassis/cabinet. Don't know what to tell you about those extra holes (a 5E3 has three pots, and that amp you linked to has more). You might be able to reuse some of the components, but you'll most certainly have to buy quite a few (transformers, tubes and sockets, large capacitors to name a few). Make a new baffle so that you can drop a single 12" speaker in there. If you want to build a 5E3 in that chassis, make sure it's about 15" wide at least. Otherwise you'll have to get "creative" with the layout, which isn't a good idea for a first time builder. I know this from experience.

If you don't know what a 5E3 is, that's ok, here it is: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/deluxe_narrow.html
      This site (music-electronics-forum.com) is a GREAT resource for a novice builder, or any builder for that matter. If you really want to, you'll build a great sounding amp and have some fun too. Maybe more than you were expecting to hear, but then again you DID post your question here. I can only assume you are ready to get your nose full of solder fumes

Oh, and one more thing...that site I just linked to, with the awesome schematic? Don't buy anything from them. They suck at sending you stuff and excel at taking your money. Use em for their resources and don't spend a dime with them. Trust me...I know from experience, unfortunately. Try antique electronic supply for misc parts, triode electronics (who sells a kit for the very purpose of building a 5E3 in a solid state chassis), or try a kit from mission amps. All good options. I built a kit from triode electronics and it came with no instructions but was very high quality. Mission kits are reputed to contain very comprehensive instructions and are high quality, and the guy who owns the company is a regular here and is very helpful. If you want speakers, try looking up weber speakers. Awesome speakers.

So there, do I sound like a know-it-all or what? Six months ago I was where you are (n00b) and I have been enjoying my 5E3 for a couple of months now and am already planning (and pricing ) my next build.
      Last edited by cminor9; 05-11-2008, 04:54 AM.
      In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

I can think of all sorts of great mods for this amp. Unfortunately they mostly involve fire, a sledgehammer, or a 12-gauge.

Even if you gutted it and threw all of the electronics away, the cabinet is hardly worth spending effort on, since it'll be made out of cheap particle board. You probably should have bought an Epiphone Valve Jr. instead.

If you do still want to mod it, I agree with the other poster who suggested making a new baffle to take a 12" speaker, then you can go looking for a Vintage 30 or similar to stick in it.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

hahaha

yeah i thought as much... i got a few ebay rubbish items just for the fact of pretty much opening them up and messing with the insides. Also the amp sounds pretty bad but has nice warped reverb running through a synth playing a drum beat.. anyway! i probably wont worry about it. Thankyou cminor9 for an extensive reply also, ill look into it and let you know how i go.. Cheers all!

Regards, Lee...

Comment

Working...
          X