choosing tubes help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choosing tubes help?

hey guys, im new to the site and i signed up to hear what you all will say about tubes. im just about to change the tubes on my peavey triple x and am on the fence about staying with the 6L6's that are in there or should i throw some EL34's in? from what i understand, and what have been told..EL34's are the tubes associated with fender amps and 6L6's are most commonly associated with marshalls. I liked the 6L6's, i mean they rocked..but the EL34's might be very cool.

I play in a punk rock band so i do want some thick distortion but just curious to see what you will say.

Also for those unfamiliar with the XXX, there is a switch in the back of the head to actually switch the bias from 6L6 to EL34 so I imagine i wont have to take this thing in, just plug and chug, am i right?

>>Also for those unfamiliar with the XXX, there is a switch in the back of the head to actually switch the bias from 6L6 to EL34 so I imagine i wont have to take this thing in, just plug and chug, am i right?<<

NO, never take that for granted, especially in any modern made tube amp using modern made tubes, tubes who's idle current ratings are all over the place when new.
    Pay someone to bias the power tubes correctly for you so you don't damage the new tubes or, learn how to bias any power tubes and do it yourself, saving some cash in the process.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

That is good advice, Bruce, but the bias on teh XXX is only marginally adjustable. There is a tweak control for the masses, but the range is limited so no one gets in trouble. It pretty much is plug and play. PV hasn't bought into the whole we must adjust them just to the brink of melting thing.

Jay Paul you have the classic tube associations backwards. Fender amps are mainly 6L6 based amps, and while Marshall has used a variety of tubes, they are often associated with EL34s.

The only way to find out if you like the EL34s in that amp is to try them.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X