X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibanez wau fuzz

has anyone built this pedal? i got the schematic from here:
    http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/iswf/iswfsch.html

i etched my own board and have gone over this thing probably 48 times,maybe 49. everything is there. output through bypass. extremely low output through effect. output is extremely low and just plain bad. i used 2n3904's for the transistors and an nte 458 in place of the 2sk30a. i made sure and switched the base and collector on the 2n3904's because the original 2sc828 have these two leads reversed. i guess my question is, has anyone built this and had success? there is a pcb layout but the wau section is the top 1/3 half of the board, so i emitted that and kept everything beneath the 9volt rail. i am getting extremely low voltages at components. i will check the debug page and see if i can track it down but just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has any experience with this circuit. thanks

update

after going through the effect circuit i finally decided to just bypass everything and go direct from input jack to input of circuit, through the circuit and out the output jack, no frills. what i found was that if i unplugged the 9 volt battery, there would be a rush of great sounding fuzz (i was running just my guitar through the effect). i tried it again and same deal, just touched the battery to the leads and pulled the battery off the leads, the effect works great for a 1/2 second then of course dies. so does this mean something is just unloading the towards the output? maybe a cap? at any rate, just wanted to post this to maybe make it easier to troubleshoot.

Comment

What this means is that there is something wrong inside the circuit, and it passes through a combination of voltages that lets you hear it somewhere along the way from 0V->9V and back down again.

Here's what to do:
      1. Go to diystompboxes.com. The link is on the first page of links here. Go to the forum. Read "Debugging: What to do when it doesn't work", which is a sticky thread, about fourth down from the top as I remember.
      2. Read the thread, especially the sequence of steps to do to provide debugging information. This will require a DMM. If you don't have a DMM, get one. You cannot solve this problem (except maybe by sheer luck) without one.
      3. Post the necessary debugging info there. There are a number of people who can look at the info and tell you fairly closely what's wrong.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

polarity of course...

rg thanks for your reply...sitting through one my classes this morning it dawned on me...the 2n3906 is PNP!!! not NPN!!! well at least i can say i learned something. i have not gotten a chance to switch them out but i hope this does the trick. oh the simple stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by randomair View Post
          rg thanks for your reply...sitting through one my classes this morning it dawned on me...the 2n3906 is PNP!!! not NPN!!! well at least i can say i learned something. i have not gotten a chance to switch them out but i hope this does the trick. oh the simple stuff...
          Oh, OK. Your post said 3904, whic is NPN and OK. Yes, if you used 3906's, it won't work.

The essence of that circuit is the same as about a dozen other fuzzes, of which the Univox Superfuzz is the best known.
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
          X