Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GZ34 lying about idle

Hi,

I have a Philips NOS GZ34 lying about. I know it has the least voltagedrop of all tube rectifiers. So the question is ; is there any advantage tonewise between using this tube or just go for solid state diodes ?
    I mean I like the sag a tube rectifier intoduces but would it be noticable with this tube ? Are there any other advantages ?

Regards, Alf

Although the solid state diodes will only net you about 12-17vdc higher B+, the GZ34/5AR4 is still is a reactive componenent in the B+ rail and the amp will have a very slightly different feel to it over the solid state diodes.
    Also, the tube is a slow startup which gives the other tubes a chance to start heating up before being smacked with full Hi-VDC!
    The SS diodes could push your filter caps harder because they are instant on too.
    The main filter caps will get hit faster and charge up to a higher peak VDC too, so you could have a problem if they are already at their limit with a tube recitifier.
    You'd just have to check this...
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

You will still hear the difference between a GZ34 (warmer) & SS rectifiers (harder), of course, whether this is an advantage or not depends on what you are trying to get. Sag with a GZ34 is not as pronounced as with 5Y3/5R4/5U4.

The GZ34 also has a slow warm up, meaning that it is kinder to your tubes than solid state/5U4/5Y3, which is why you sometimes see it used in amps without a standby.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf View Post
        Hi,

I have a Philips NOS GZ34 lying about. I know it has the least voltagedrop of all tube rectifiers. So the question is ; is there any advantage tonewise between using this tube or just go for solid state diodes ?
        I mean I like the sag a tube rectifier intoduces but would it be noticable with this tube ? Are there any other advantages ?

Regards, Alf
        You might not notice the difference. I have a JTM45 clone with a GZ34, set up with EL34s (like a JTM50) with switchable split cathodes. Also have a '74 50W with EL34s and a ss rectifier. When I A/B them with a Switchbone switcher, I can barely hear the difference, they are THAT close. No obvious sag with the GZ34, that's for sure. They both sound fantastic, btw.

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies , I guess I'll have to find out for myself.
          Bruce and MWJB the argument for using a tube rectifier because of the slower voltage startup is certainly important.

Regards, Alf

Comment

of course, a Weber GZ34 CopperCap replacement gets you the best of both worlds...slow start-up, slight sag, and solid-state durability. I use 'em and they work quite well (in a Mission Amps 5F4, a modified Mission Tweedy Deluxe, and a Kendrick Lion 7).

Comment

TD ,

That's a very good alternative indeed.
              What model would you use for a 2 x EL 34 amp ?
              And IIRC there are also solid state diodes in the copper cap ??

Alf

Comment

Take a look at the CopperCap page for a better explanation:

http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html

I've used the 5Y3, 5V4, 5U4, and GZ34 equivalents....all perform satisfactorily. BTW, Bruce Collins assisted in the testing of several of these models...

Think there's a chart in there that helps you detemine what your needs are as well.

Comment

Thanks TD for all the useful information.

Alf

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                    Also, the tube is a slow startup which gives the other tubes a chance to start heating up before being smacked with full Hi-VDC!
                    The SS diodes could push your filter caps harder because they are instant on too.
                    Inrush prevention thermistors, anyone?
                    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Inrush prevention thermistors

I use these in an amp with a Toroidal PT in the primary because otherwise the fuse blows.
                      Would it be possible to use these in the heater winding too to get a slower startup and consequently longer tubelife ?
                      I've been wondering about this for some time now as I bought a number of NOS ecc83 tubes (Philips anmd good readings) but 50 % of them flash during a cold startup. Wouldn't it be beneficial to slowstart them this way ??

Alf

Comment

Inrush prevention thermistors

I use these in an amp with a Toroidal PT in the primary because otherwise the fuse blows.
                        Would it be possible to use these in the heater winding too to get a slower startup and consequently longer tubelife ?
                        I've been wondering about this for some time now as I bought a number of NOS ecc83 tubes (Philips anmd good readings) but 50 % of them flash during a cold startup. Wouldn't it be beneficial to slowstart them this way ??

Comment

I see quite a lot of preamp tubes that flash like that. I don't think it's much of a problem. In fact, I was kind of under the impression that the tube designers made the little bit at the bottom of the heater flash on purpose, since it ended up reducing the inrush current and protecting the rest of the heater overall. Could be wrong though.
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

>>tube designers made the little bit at the bottom of the heater flash on purpose,<<

I don't know about doing it on purpose but I heard so many of the old 12AX7s did (do) it that customers were getting too worried a particluar brand was defective so the manufactures changed the filaments so they would not "glow up" in a little flash.
                            Bruce

Mission Amps
                            Denver, CO. 80022
                            www.missionamps.com
                            303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Alf View Post

Alf
                              It would. I know of one commercial amp that does exactly this, and for exactly that reason. However, a primary-side thermistor does much the same thing by limiting the total power into the transformer. It certainly helps.
                              Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
                              X