2X12 Cab, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2X12 Cab, need help

I am planning on building a 2X12 cab, and am basing my design on the dimensions of the VOX AC30. I have never built an amp before, and am looking for some suggestions. I play classic rock and blues, and like the "open back" sound of fender and VOX amps. I was planning on using maple for the body of the amp, and relatively thin plywood for the baffle (floating baffle).

I was inspired by this particular project: http://www.vintone.com/rc_ac30_o

and was wondering about the sonic properties of mahogany, or any wood for that matter.

I will use a pre-built head (any suggestions?), as I have no experience with electronics. For speakers I think either celestion blues, or tone tubby hempcones.

tell me what you think

Edit:

Also, I need help getting the right head for the right speakers, with the right wiring. I have no idea how to get the impedance correct
    Last edited by CattMallahan; 05-21-2008, 07:53 PM.

sounds like you are on the right track, but i'll give you a few comments.

maple (or mahogany to a lesser extent) for a cab is going to be quite heavy. it will be stiff, but not nessesarily better tone wise for a classic rock/bluesy sound. older fender amps were made with pine, which actually resonated and effected the way the amp sounded (most people liked the resonance it provided, and seems to be a sound you may like). otherwise plywood should be fine for the cab assuming the design is plenty strong. plywood may be a bit more durable than pine in terms of resisting dings.

for wiring up the speakers, you want 2 speakers of the same impedance. wire them in series and you add the impedance, wire them in paralell and you divide them by 2 (for 2 speakers). so if you need 8 ohms, you would either put 2 4's in series, or 2 16's i paralell

Comment

Working...
    X