mixing speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixing speakers

I was thinking about mixing a 15" Jensen speaker and one (or two) 10" Celestion speaker in a cab.
    Both the speakers are 8ohm.
    The cab should receive the signal from a Hiwatt 50watt head.
    The Jensen is rated at 50watt and the Celestion is rated at 30watt.
    I want the Celestion(s) to add just a tad of brightness and presence to the sound of the Jensen,which I like the most.
    Do you think a tweeter would help me more than the 10"speaker(s) in nailing this tone?
    Or it would add a too much "hi-fi" sound?
    Thanks.

?

no one??

Comment

No, a tweeter is not usually a good idea in a guitar amp, at least not an amp made for electric guitar. An "acoustic" amp - made to amplify acoustic guitar - mught be a different story since it is really a small PA system and not really a guitar amp. At least in my view.

No reason in the world you can't combine different speakers. Two 8 ohm speakers will share power equally, so if the amp produces 50 watts, each speaker will get 25 watts.

You can wire them in parallel for 4 ohms total or in series for 16 ohms total.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

how many 10"s?

Do you think it'd be better to mount a single 10" or a pair,in order to balance the tone of the 15" speaker?

Comment

I realize it is hard to experiment with speaker cabs. personally I would either look for a brighter 15, or at least a different 15 that sounds more like you want, or I might go with a pair of 10s. But that is my opinion only, nothing wrong with a 15 and two 10s if you want, there are bass cabs made exactly that way. I really like the sound of a 4x10 for guitar.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I play a rickenbacker 610,which is a solid body with HiGain single-coil pickups,through a hiwatt custom 50.
            It's less bright than a tele or a strat but it's also weaker in the bass frequencies: weaker than any guitar I've owned.
            Nevertheless I like it and I'd keep on using it.
            I bought a closed-back 1x15 cab (50 watt) and found it too bassy...so I removed the back,but it's still boooomy!!
            Now I'm thinking about:
            1) pairing the Jensen 15" speaker (C15N) with a 10" celestion;
            2) buying a closed-back 4x12;
            3) buying a closed-back 2x12.

Any advices?

Comment

I've just started a new thread in which I expose much better the situation...check it,please!
              Its title is: "More bass!!"

Comment

Working...
              X