Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Traynor TR-2 reverb tank

Hello,

I have a solid state Traynor TR-2 reverb tank that makes quite a bit of soft hissing white noise. The noise comes and goes with increasing and decreasing the strength of both the normal signal and the reverb signal.

I'm going to go inside again this evening, but if anyone has some advice on where I should look for the source of this noise I'd be much obliged. I have a rudimentary knowledge of electronics, and access to a multimeter that I almost know how to use. :-)

Thanks!
    dt

Hey,

I may be misinterpreting your problem, but is it possible that it's just a noisy volume and reverb pot? If there's a lot of white noise/scratching when you're moving the pots they may just need to be cleaned up. You can do that by spraying them with contact cleaner/WD40 and turning them back and forth for a while.

Good luck bud.

Comment

Thanks for the reply - no it's clearly not pot-related. I feel like adding a joke here at my own expense but I shall refrain... :-)

Comment

Well I tried to fix this thing myself and I seem to have broken the actual Gibbs tank. I know this because I have a new Accutronics tank as well - with the Gibbs tank in place and hooked up, I get no reverb signal whatsoever, just a dry signal. When I pull the plugs out of the Gibbs and plug them into the accutronics, all is well (I still get the white noise but that's another story), I get the wet signal I'd expect.

I inspected the Gibbs tank and I can't see any loose wires or anything wrong with it. It stopped working when I initially pulled out the rca plugs from it (they were sticking so it was not easy).

What could I have done to the tank?

All opinions are appreciated!

dt

Comment

Originally posted by dusty tolex View Post
          What could I have done to the tank?
          There really isn't that much to these things. Each side has an RCA jack, 2 wires that attach to the transducer coil, and the coil itself.

Take your meter and read the resistance of the coils. Depending upon the type of tank it is, they could read somewhere from 1 ohm to 200 ohms.

Use your meter to check the continiuity of the two lead wires that attach to the RCA jack. Sometimes these wires will break inside the insulation, so they may look fine, but really are not.

Comment

Working...
          X