Bad sound out of my 1964 Princeton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad sound out of my 1964 Princeton

I just biased this amp and put in all new sound tubes but I'm still get this crackly crunch sound out of it... All the wiring looks good so I don't know what it is. Any ideas?

Does it crackle when you turn the controls? It could be the tube sockets are dirty or a noisy plate resistor in the pre amp section. There's also a resistor in the phase inverter section that's prone to break it's solder joint. Check closely all the ground wires that solder to the grounding plate where all the pots are bolted.

Comment

P. Did it make the noises before you put the tubes in? If not cleaning the tube sockets is a good call as well as replacing the old tubes one-by-one and see what happens. And don't forget dirty input jacks - just "sharpen" a pencil eraser and clean all of the contacts. And any other solder joints.

Rob

Comment

All the wiring is good. It had the same noise for the old tubes also although it did get a little better when I put in the new tubes. If its the tube sockets how do you replace them?

Comment

It does not crackle while turning the knobs at all.

Comment

Are you saying you hear noise when you play through the amp "OR" it just sits there and makes an intermittent noise?

Comment

figure it out

I changed the sockets so now everything is fine, I believe it was the 6v6 sockets... bad connectivity or something.

Comment

Working...
              X