Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6aq5 to 6v6 conversion gibson ga-17rvt scout

Hi,
    I'm converting a ga-17rvt scout amp from 6aq5's to 6v6's. I've changed both the PT as I want more power (340-0-340VAC HT 5v-0 3.15-0-3.15) and the tiny OT for a 5e3 one. I put octal sockets and wired them as a 5e3. I've also replaced the original recto for a 5y3gt.
    My question is what components else would I have to replace in order to have a stable working amp?
    thanks

MM,

While you might like some of the changes you've made - the Gibson's were a bit of a 'rat's nest" to work on - don't expect to any changes in power level to be noticable. Folks commonly replace the 6V6 in a Champ with a 6L6 and are dissapointed that it isn't "louder" - you get more effect with a second and/or more effieciet speaker.

Rob

Comment

Rob,
      I've changed the PT in order to raise the B+ to 360 vdc compare to the stock 290 vdc so I think it will have more power.
      Again my question is : do I have to replace other any component?
      thanks

Comment

MM

Unles you find yourself there by luck you'll have to size the output tubes cathode bias resistor to idle the output tubes where you wish and if may be that some of the other caps have voltage limits that will now be exceeded. Notice I didn't state that you wouldn't produce more power only that you may not "notice" it to any great degree. Roughly speaking it takes ten times the power to double the sound pressure using the same speaker - this is why you get more effect by increasing the radiating area or by using a more efficient speaker. Six decibels also gives you the impression of doubling the sound level so a 6 db. speaker is worth 10X the output power (all things being equal with reference to "moderate to loud" sound pressures).

Rob

Comment

Gibson Scout to EL84

I have a friend who wanted his Scout converted to EL84's.
          I used a tag board and added a 5E3 Deluxe type tone stack also. It sounds pretty good with a Jensen C12Q re-issue speaker. Anyway, he likes it. The PT got changed on this one also. With a more efficient speaker (compared to the stock one) it is noticeably louder.

The Gibby Scouts are a rat's nest. I didn't enjoy working on it in comparison to others.

With respect, Tubenit
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, anyone else?

Comment

Working...
            X