'51-'56 Fender SCPB specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51-'56 Fender SCPB specs

Do any of you guys have any details on the early single coil Precision Bass pickups? Thanks.

Sam have some of these pickups. What you wanna know? Early ones flat pole 16mm long magnets, average 0.2mm below top. Stagger first happen in early 52, E + G 16.8, A 18.4. D 17.55. Top and bottom both 2.4 - 2.5mm thick black forbon. Some A3, some A5. All wound Top right, top going, 8,500 - 10,000 42 PE. Difficult to tell spacing. Just measured 5 of them and all different because Forbon shrink in hot wax but largest centre-centre 53.95. Top almost same as Terecaster but shorter, largest 72.6. Mostly black wax, but sometimes shellac potted, sometimes string still white - put on afterwards? Oh yes, all south up.
    Last edited by Sam Lee Guy; 05-23-2008, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Whoa! Good stuff. I got to touch #51 once, it belongs to a fellow here in town who used to tour with John Lee Hooker.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Whoa! Good stuff. I got to touch #51 once, it belongs to a fellow here in town who used to tour with John Lee Hooker.
        I played an early P bass once.. it was light as a feather! I don't remember what year it was, but it was very early 50's.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks a lot, Sam, very precise and appreciated. Do you know range of the ohmmeter readings?

Comment

No all mine work, but have reading from 6.7K to 7.25K and distance between top and bottom of 11.1 - 11.5mm. Some read lower but could be short inside.

Comment

Thanks Sam, info on those is hard to come by.

Comment

You welcome! Any idea where to buy flatwork for these pickup?

Comment

no ideas where to buy it , but if you have a sample of the flatwork and some forbon a laser cutter should be able to sort it..
                  I would get this cut but mine seems to be on strike..

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
                    You welcome! Any idea where to buy flatwork for these pickup?

So sorry, honorable Samason...I have no idea where to get that stuff.

Comment

I'd ask the folks at Duncan, I'll bet they even have a part number for it in the oem catalogue. You could also ask Carey Nordstrand as he's laser cutting them too.

Comment

Working...
                      X