Blackface Deluxe Reverb Tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackface Deluxe Reverb Tank?

Could anyone please tell me the accutronics code number for a 1965 blackface tweed deluxe.I'm currently restoring an old beat up one and the previous owner had removed it and I need to replace it

Thanks in advance
    Watto

Here is the secret of reverb pans. If it is driven by a transformer like most Fenders, then you want an AB pan. (4AB2C1B for example) If it is driven by something high impedance like a cap from a plate, you want the higher impedance EB pan like the 4EB2C1B. I vote you need an AB pan.

4AB for the basic two spring long pan
    9AB for the basic three spring long pan
    8AB for the shorter pan. I guess it must be basic too.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of newer tanks from Acutronics have a poor tonal quality and the delay is ... clangy harsh and not smooth like older ones.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

They suck to put it quite mildly. I try to find old ones if I can from trashed amps. They're much better than the new ones. The silver ones really suck
        KB

Comment

Reverb tanks, new ones stank

I am glad to hear that you all are thinking they sound bad as well, I was thinking it was just me but I have used 2 of them now and both are no better than a garbage can with a screen door spring attached.... LOL
          Got to start looking for an old one for my blackfaced 79 Vibrolux.
          BDR

Comment

yeah, this solidifies my opinion as well.......I have a silver one just dialed-out of the circuit. perhaps the springs are too stiff?

Comment

I've never looked into it but does anyone know the type of metal (alloy?) that were used in the old springs vs. the new ones? And also the spring's wire diameter...has it changed? Not that I have any experience in such matters but maybe one could try some type of treatment to the new springs to artificially age or simply change their physical characteristics. Maybe a fun experiement? Are there any manufacturers other than Accutronics that might sell a repro or something?

-David

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                Has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of newer tanks from Acutronics have a poor tonal quality and the delay is ... clangy harsh and not smooth like older ones.
                Yep....
                Did try several new and old ones while building a bf DR replica and did use a 70s one.
                You can slightly better the sound of new ones by using a silverface-a-like reverb-circuit, anyway a cap between the driver plates and cathodes but I still do prefer the old tanks.

Anyone got a source for new, better quality tanks for bf-Fenders?
                Love, peace & loudness,
                Chris
                http://www.CMWamps.com

Comment

Working...
                X