Question About Peavey VTM-120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Peavey VTM-120

I'm considering purchasing a Peavey VTM-120. It's a single channel amplifier, with separate inputs for low gain and high gain. The main reason I'm getting it is to get away from solid state distortion; the tube distortion sounds so much better. However, I do use clean sounds pretty regularly, and switch back and forth frequently.

My question is, is it possible to use an ABY switch, such as this (http://www.zzounds.com/item--RADBSABY) in order to achieve the desired result? Or is it a bad idea to have cables plugged into the low and high gain inputs at the same time?

Actually, this might not be possible.

The high gain input appears to add a gain stage.

It's not a simple addition, which is what you find on most older amps (Bassman, etc).

With both inputs connected, you'd only hear the low gain. The high gain signal wouldn't go anywhere.
    Last edited by PRNDL; 06-01-2008, 03:17 PM.
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

I have 2 VTM heads and there's no way to "switch" to a clean sound. The low gain input bypasses the first gain stage (a'la jcm800) and sounds real weak for a clean tone. What I do with all my amps is use a neck pos single coil and roll the guitar vol down. I have .001u bypass caps on all my guitar vol pots to avoid the mud when rolling the vol down. THis way, even with both "gain" switches on and the pre vol dimed, it will clean up. I recommend leaving the compression switch off for best results, YMMV.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I have converted one to channel switching. You wind up with one input, a relay, and a switch to control it. But there is no way to do it from the outside.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't use the ch switching on the amps I have that offer more than 1 channel....I do it the way it was done before there was channel switching....roll the guitar vol down and it cleans up. Less hassle for me, and you get a bit of natural compression and slight breakup that makes for a more lively clean tone. Most amps have a clean ch thats "cleaner that clean" and sounds lifeless....I need a little more action in my cleans.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Cool, thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X