69 rewind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 rewind

I found this on youtube and thought it might be of interest, Does he rewind it with the wrong wire?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhPQerWCrbw

It's a nice little promo video.
    To answer your question, he should have used black plain enamelled 42 AWG not Formvar-coated wire. I would have tried to fish out the broken wire by gently pulling the bottom flatwork down a little. Whoops! That'll be in the next video....
    Last edited by Spence; 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Thats what i thought as well but didn't want to jump the gun.

Comment

Yep, pull down the end a touch and gently tug on the wire. Of course, it all depends on how tight it was wound....Personally, I wouldn't send a pickup to him. What makes him think of using formvar?
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Well I'm not going to be overly critical but this is what you can expect from a lot of people. There seems to be a trend of people winding a Stew Mac kit one day and opening a business the next. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to learn my trade in public so the promo video thing seems like a dangerous thing to do. Make a mistake and some people never forget.
          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

He described a custom shop sticker on the bottom of the pickup - if it's a reissue, Formvar is probably an accurate replacement, no?

I liked the jig he's got here to swap polarity on a JBass pickup:
            Geddy Lee pickup

Comment

No, the CS69's are grey bottom, wound with PE. If it had been a black bottom pickup, 54's, Fat 50's etc, formvar would have been correct. Basically, anything grey bottom is wound with PE. I built something similar to his charging jig. Mine uses a shuttle assembly that holds a set of strat pickups. Slide the hole thing through a few times and presto, a set is charged to even levels.
              Last edited by chevalij; 06-02-2008, 11:42 PM.
              www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I sit corrected

Comment

I think it's just a oversight on this behalf, and if the customer thinks it sounds good and is happy with the result then thats a perfect ending. He seems like a nice guy and wish him and his busisness all the best.

Comment

I dont trust anyone wearing a hat......anyone seen mine lately, its around here somewhere....
                    http://www.SDpickups.com
                    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Have you had a look under the cat? I bet that hat looks a comfortable thing to sit on once it's off your head.

Comment

Clint's a good guy, and makes some cool pickups. He posts here every now and then.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Anyone that likes Michael Schenker is a friend of mine.
                          www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

MSG

I did a bunch of his album packages a few years back, Schenker that is, he sure went through some rough times then, lost it all, and got it back....
                            http://www.SDpickups.com
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                              I did a bunch of his album packages a few years back, Schenker that is, he sure went through some rough times then, lost it all, and got it back....
                              yeah, i still think he is having a rough time. I know Dean has to pay his former wife money for child support which comes out of the money he gets from his endorsement.

He had to cancel a couple of US tours in the last few years because he was afraid they would arrest him for not paying or not being able to pay support. I had tickets to see him and he cancelled out at the last minute. Did you do his Thank You CDs?...the acoustic intrumental ones.
                              www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Working...
                              X